FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to convert Hi8 to Digital?? Sony TRV-340?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
StarGehzer
Best way to convert Hi8 to Digital?? Sony TRV-340?
on Nov 18, 2002 at 12:20:38 am

I have a number of Hi8 tapes that were recorded with my Sony TRV99.
I'd like to get the data into the computer so I can edit & burn to CD/DVD.
I've been told any capture card will give, at best, second generation results. It was suggested I buy a Sony DCR-TRV340 or 740 Camcorder. I'm told these units will read my HI8 analog tapes and convert to digital with no loss. They can then be transfered to the computer via firewire.
Is this really the best way to do this? Or was I talking to a really good salesman? (who looked at a possible $200.00 sale & now has me looking at spending $1200.00)
Can anyone offer my any advantages or disadvantages to this system?
(from here down was added after I wrote the above)
I just found some information about "analog to digital pass through", is this just as good or the same? I thought maybe playing back the tape on the machine that actually made it may be better but is using an "analog to digital pass through" going to give me 2nd generation copy?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Best way to convert Hi8 to Digital?? Sony TRV-
on Nov 19, 2002 at 5:28:03 am

The Sony Digital8 camcorders will digitize your 8mm & Hi8 tapes realtime and upload the data over the firewire port. If you're considering switching to a DV format, this is a viable solution to keep your old 8mm tapes. You'll still need a firewire card, but the Pyro Pro is quite affordable.

Otherwise, I'm sure the Videoguys can point out several analog capture cards that can do the same thing with your TRV99.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
Re: Best way to convert Hi8 to Digital?? Sony TRV-
on Nov 22, 2002 at 12:06:18 pm

I use the Canopus ADVC-100 analog to digital converter. Fantastic unit for under 300.00. Maintains full quality throughout the transfer process. I use it on 3/4 SP, Beta SP, SVHS, Hi-8mm, 8mm, and Vhs. Fantastic quality! Has 2 firewire ins and outs, two svhs and composite ins and outs plus a svhs out to a monitor. check it out at:
http://www.justedit.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]