FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please, what would you do with this system?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerard
Please, what would you do with this system?
on Nov 8, 2002 at 9:11:34 pm

Hi folks. I'm really hungry for input. Suppose you had my system:

Windows 98SE
MSI-6309 (Version 2) motherboard
Pentium III 1.0 Gig Processor @133MHz
640 Megabytes PC133 PNY RAM
(2) Western Digital 40GB Ultra ata 100 HD's at 7200 rpm
Visiontek nVidea GeForce 2 mx 400 graphics card (AGP)
Hercules Game Theater XP sound card (darn nice!)

*I also have the ADS Pyro card, with ULead Media Studio Pro 6.5. I've been using a Dazzle Digital Video Creator previously for analog video editing. Someone is giving me Windows XP Pro for a present, and I am awaiting shipment on a Panosonic DV 402 digital camcorder.

I want to get more into this, as well as into 3d intensive applications-- for example, I also have just gotten into Poser 5 and Adobe Atmosphere.

Anyway, I already have my choice of Windows XP or XP Pro to upgrade. Now what else?-- keep my processor, motherboard, or upgrade that too, etc, etc. Thanks very much.

*Ooops! Edit note: I have heard that the XP Pro is good for power users. Why and/or how is this so in relation to DTV?

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
Re: Please, what would you do with this system?
on Nov 9, 2002 at 12:00:34 pm

I would upgrade to windows 2000 pro over any xp os system. Much more stable and more reliable for video capturing and editing. Besides, upgrading to W2K-Pro will be a much eaiser transition than xp due to saving you alot of driver update download time to make your present hardware and software compatible with xp. Also, W2K-Pro is alot less of a resource hog than xp, built on NT technology, W2K is the choice for more Professional editors than any other OS system on the market. Upgrade your video card to a g-force 440 or higher and use premier 6.0 or 6.5. You'll also find other adobe products for the 3-d stuff.

Return to posts index

Gerard
Re: Please, what would you do with this system?
on Nov 11, 2002 at 4:28:28 am

Thank you, Joesvideo.

Now there is an option that I never really gave thought to previously, but it sure sounds interesting. And I must admit, I'm not too thrilled about my present nVidea graphics card-- very crisp and sharp image, but clips my icons now and then and causes my mouse cursor to blink. Oh, how I miss 3dfx!

I wonder if you or anyone else has heard about the new Windows 64-bit OS? Oh well, that's another issue I guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]