FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to RAID??? Once more for us slow guys...

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gadgetfreak
How to RAID??? Once more for us slow guys...
on Nov 7, 2002 at 2:45:07 am

I have an asus p4t533 2.53 with onboard raid. My original plan was a 4 drive stripe, but of couse the onboard raid is only 2 drive (I didn't know till I got it). At present I have 2 WD80 w/8mb buffers set raid 0 with everything loaded on (os, apps, storage). I do have it partitioned (4). I also have an additional WD80 in there which at the moment I use for data backup mostly. Now, what is the best way to go. Should I have put the OS and apps on the single drive and used the raid for straight file storage? If I put in a raid card and 2 more drives will I gain much? Outboard Raid? I think you can see where I'm going with this so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Matt Sowder
Re: How to RAID??? Once more for us slow guys...
on Nov 7, 2002 at 2:31:01 pm

Well, you should NOT capture video on the same partition as your OS. DV though is much more forgiving than in my professional world, I know of many success stories violating that rule. =) At home I have to system drives for OS & programs set for dual boot (98 & 2K) with a 3 (40 gig) drive raid (120) just for video storage. Two WD special edition 80's are plenty fast for DV alone and not striped in a raid. Personally, I am building a replacement for my DV500 PC. It will have a system drive and a raid much like you have now, only with an add on raid controller. I need to avoid an latency issues with onboard raid controllers. IMHO, another raid controller might not be necessary if you configure your current setup differently. Though after last night's rebuilding of my computer, easier is much better for your health. Let that be your guide ;)

Matt Sowder
Chowderheads

"Living in 1D, Working in 2D, Dreaming of 3D"
-Me, March, 1998

Return to posts index

gadgetfreak
Re: How to RAID??? Once more for us slow guys...
on Nov 10, 2002 at 11:43:06 pm

Thanks for the info Matt. I guess my question now is if there is any reason to have OS and Programs on a pair of raid drives, or just put them on a single drive? Or, is having 2 seperate, 2 drive, raids (1 raid OS and Apps, the other video files) just not much of an improvement. The standard seems to be OS and apps on a single drive and then the raid just for video files. My next purchase is probably going to be Matrox R.10, if for no other reason to allow non digital output (VHS etc.). I found out the hard way you really don't want to output to analog tape through the system video card! Card breaks up during pans (nvidia geforce 4200) and I'm tired of writing to DV tape and then dubbing from that to VHS for reasons of time and being limited to 1hr.
Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]