FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAM: faster or more better?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerard
RAM: faster or more better?
on Nov 6, 2002 at 6:56:14 pm

Is there someone who can please tell me what is more important given an option:

slightly more RAM at a slightly slower speed or slightly less amount of RAM at a slightly higher speed? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mitch_Videoguys
Re: RAM: faster or more better?
on Nov 7, 2002 at 7:15:01 pm

I would go with More RAM!!

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
Mitchell Schlesinger xt 122
Home of the Desk Top Video Handbook On Line http://www.videoguys.com
All DTV purchases include FREE tech support and 30 day satisfaction
guarantee

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 8, 2002 at 5:55:09 am

More RAM is better ... to a point. I believe Premiere will use a maximum of 1.5 GB. At least that's the number I heard about version 5. It may have changed in version 6.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 8, 2002 at 3:19:15 pm

Thank you Mitch and John. That is what I tended to suspect, but really did not know. Now, please forgive my follow-up, but is there any advantage to using Windows XP Pro over the Home Edition? See, I heard that with 98SE, any one application is automatically limited to the use of only up to 128 MB, so any extra ram is almost a waste for truly intensive applications. But that XP Pro allows for more. Does Home Edition do likewise? I'm finally getting ready to upgrade my OS at least. Shame in a way-- it took me several months to work out all the bugs in my computer, and now it is one mean machine. I bet people would find it hard to believe that I only have a Coppermine processor in it. And it don't skip a beat. Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 9, 2002 at 2:17:05 am

Both XP Home and Pro offer NTFS drive formatting, which eliminates the 2/4 GB filesize limits, which is really important when you start authoring DVD's. It also make it easy to edit large DV files, which use 13 GB/hour.

XP Pro adds networking and encryption features that are left out of Home. For example, an XP Home machine cannot join a domain. Most home users wouldn't care, but I use a server to manage my network and share the internet connection.

XP Pro supports dual processors. Home doesn't. Until XP Pro, I wouldn't recommend dual processors for anything other than a server. I'd just seen too many applications not know how to deal with the duals on NT Workstation and actually run slower than a single cpu machine. I'm using XP Pro with a dual Athlon and an RT.X100 for my video editing and am very happy with its speed. Cool

So either one will work for DV editing.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 9, 2002 at 3:04:24 am

John, you are most kind to answer, thank you. It sounds like in my case I do not necessarily need the Pro version. But if I may, please tell me: is there anything I ought to know about openning up my RAM with either XP to feed the hungry tiger of video editing? Or is this an automatic kind of thing?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 9, 2002 at 10:43:51 pm

Motherboard bios automatically detect and test memory on boot-up. Make sure the memory you buy is compatible with your existing memory and motherboard. One good source is http://www.crucial.com, which can tell you exactly what type of memory your computer uses and sells it at competitive prices.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 9, 2002 at 11:43:12 pm

Thank you, John. That is assuring. I'm sorry; what I meant is do I have to adjust any settings to allow an application to use as much RAM above 128 MB as I care to give it? Or will the XP's (HE and Pro) automatically give an application totally free access to all the RAM it wants?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 11, 2002 at 5:27:07 am

XP's memory management is automatic. You shouldn't need to adjust anything. In fact, changing the default settings is usually risky.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 11, 2002 at 11:46:55 pm

Thank you, John; you have shown me a lot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]