FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade System Advice, Please?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerard
Upgrade System Advice, Please?
on Oct 30, 2002 at 9:24:26 pm

Hi everyone!

I very much would appreciate your advice, input, opinions, questions, etc. The more the merrier.

I was wondering what might be the best way for me to go in light of what I already have, am getting, and what might get on a somewhat tight budget. Let me describe to you my current system:

Windows 98SE
MSI-6309 (Version 2) motherboard
Pentium III 1.0 Gig Processor @133MHz
640 Megabytes PC133 PNY RAM
(2) Western Digital 40GB Ultra ata 100 HD's at 7200 rpm
Visiontek nVidea GeForce 2 mx 400 graphics card (AGP)
Hercules Game Theater XP sound card (darn nice!)

*I also have the ADS Pyro card, with ULead Media Studio Pro 6.5. I've been using a Dazzle Digital Video Creator previously for analog video editing. Someone is giving me Windows XP Pro for a present, and I am awaiting shipment on a Panosonic DV 402 digital camcorder.

I want to get more into this, as well as into 3d intensive applications-- for example, I also have just gotten into Poser 5 and Adobe Atmosphere.

Question: How much does it really behoove me to upgrade my system? The hardware changes I was thinking of making would amount approximately to this... maybe:

Another MSI Motherboard (something like a 645E Max 2, with USB 2.0 support-- note: uses Sis chipset).
Pentium IV at 2.4 or 2.53 with 533 MHz front side bus
Maybe swapping one WD Special Edition HD 80 Gigger for the video storage
A Memorex DVD+RW drive (also considered the new Sony DRU 500A, but am nervous about reports I have seen thus far). (Isn't the plus format loaded with advantages like variable bit recording and such?)
Oh, and 512MB PC2100 DDR RAM from Crucial.

Well, I guess that's enough to start this out with. Thank you so very much for your time and attention. I really only want to upgrade if it will make a decidedly good and reliable difference, and be a wise thing to do.

Return to posts index

Matt Sowder
Re: Upgrade System Advice, Please?
on Oct 31, 2002 at 2:43:01 pm

It all sounds logical to me... I went from Win98se to Win2k and have not regretted it once. Not only is it more stable but it lets me work with the bigger files so seemlessly. When you order your hard drives get the OEM version of Win2K. Usually online stores like compuplus.com or newegg.com have great prices for both WD and OEM OS's.

I think the only alarm bells that go off is that Memorex drive. I have never gotten my Memorex software to work on ANY computer I have. Oh, and based on the amount of coasters I make from using their CD-R's I would also be hesitant. Just my $.02. Me? I went with the Pioneer AO4 from these fine videoguys.

Matt Sowder
Chowderheads

"Living in 1D, Working in 2D, Dreaming of 3D"
-Me, March, 1998

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 1, 2002 at 8:54:44 pm

Thank you for your input, Matt. I appreciate it very much.

It would have been nice if one of these "fine videoguys" could have responded, too. I bought a few things from them myself. I feel badly about this, so I'm going to take my ball and go home now.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Gerard
on Nov 6, 2002 at 11:03:45 pm

Please let me try this again.

Will my projects be any more successful, reliable, and stable if I were to upgrade my hardware from a PIII 1000MHz to a PIV at 2.4GHz? Or, am I just gaining in speed in accomplishing the tasks? Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]