FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need help building a small studio

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mikek
I need help building a small studio
on Oct 29, 2002 at 2:24:03 am

I have a 15x15 room that I want to use as a mini studio to film interviews for some short documentaries. I'll be using black, white, & blue background fabrics and am using basic 3-point lighting. My question is this: What color should I paint the room? Black? White? Anything at all? Please let me know where I can look to find some answers to this and other basic questions to building a studio. Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Matt Sowder
Re: I need help building a small studio
on Oct 29, 2002 at 5:33:21 pm

Depends all on your mood.

Me? I would probably use earth tones. Soft matted or a soft sponge roll pattern to give it some depth. If you are going for a single color background, black will help with limbo lighting but won't really be good for much else unless you can throw cookies over a light or two for some variation. Personally, I would go with a light navy blue. You can add fill light to bring the blue up and use the background or pull the lights off and go limbo. It is a good neutral color and you won't have contrast issues with the all black or all white background. If you want black or white, regardless, go with a blend that moves towards a grey color. It is the stark contrast that you will fight constantly to make your interviews look clean. Most definitely you would want a vectorscope to watch your levels closely.

OR you can mix and match walls. Chroma blue or green would be a cheap way to add "instant" background for whatever you do. Go navy on 3 walls and blend in the fourth with Chromo Blue...

Whatever you do, stay away from gloss paints. Go matted. You do not want any extra reflectivity from your surface.

Enough options? Go create some magic

Matt Sowder
Chowderheads

"Living in 1D, Working in 2D, Dreaming of 3D"
-Me, March, 1998

Return to posts index

mikek
on Oct 29, 2002 at 7:34:53 pm

if i already own some backdrops (white, black, blue) that i will be lighting (w/ cookies), would painting the room a matted (flat) black give me more light control - since the black paint would absorb (instead of reflect) ambient light?

mike

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Oct 29, 2002 at 10:03:21 pm

What you can do is split the room diagonally. Have two adjacent walls flat black, then the opposite 2 walls off white.

This will give you good flexibility, as long as you keep your lighting portable (within the room). You may also want to consider painting one of the walls chrome-green.

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

Matt Sowder
on Oct 30, 2002 at 2:58:03 pm

Any spill on your walls could conceivably throw back into your video (glare, haze or even soft fill). If you use the backgrounds mainly then what you paint your walls is of little concern, really. You should take into consideration any sound dampening measures like foam padding, carpets, or tile roofs. First of all the audio quality of your room is more of a concern then your lighting if you already have your backgrounds. A good studio is insulated inside from echoes, air conditioning and the outside world. Your sound quality will be immeasurably better.

Otherwise, I would go with a chroma blue or green. You can get samples and test them but basic blue lit at 40% IRE on a vector scope can get you pretty clean chroma keys without the arm and a leg expense of an actual chroma cloth backdrops. Granted those are much more portable than your studio wall but you certainly can control lighting and audio better there.

Food for thought... Good luck. Keep us posted.

Matt Sowder
Chowderheads

"Living in 1D, Working in 2D, Dreaming of 3D"
-Me, March, 1998

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]