FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help, I beg of you.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aquavitaeus
Help, I beg of you.
on Oct 23, 2002 at 5:35:07 pm

I'm looking to start a side business of converting vhs and hi8 tapes of family events to cd. I bought the studio 8 package with an analog card. I also bought and installed a seagate 60 gig hard drive at 5400 with a less than 10 ms seek time. I installed this on my current computer as a slave, set up the system to dual boot with windows 98 or 2000 professional, and installed an additional 256 meg ram for a total of 384. As the system stands, I have a 300 mhz pentium 2 with 384 ram, a 4 meg video card, booting directly to the 60 gig harddrive. It behaves as if the only programs on the system are the video editing software and the cd writer. I was hoping not to have to upgrade the computer itself, at least not initially.
Yesterday I experimented by putting the matrix onto the computer. No problems getting it on the hard drive except a lot of dropped frames, probably 1000-1500 during the course of the film.
However, it is clear that I have to upgrade as it took 18 hours to render the film into 1.5 gb of mpeg.
I have several questions.
1) Is it better to upgrade to a dual athlon, let's say at 1800 or 1600 than to get a p4 at 2.4? Can I run a dual athlon boar on 1 athlon?
2) In what way would a new video card help, as I will be doing minimal editing?
3) The matrix, recorded from vhs, took 1.5 gig compressed. I would like to take videotapes and convert them to a single cd, and have them autorun for my customers in their dvd drives or their computers. Is this possible without losing resolution from the vhs format I recorded from? Or do I have to use multiple CD's. Should I just use DVD's?
4)My cd burner is an old external hp usb burner that makes more coasters than cd's, it always fails at the end. I would like to get a new burner, with good software. Any recommendations?

I wuld greatly appreciate any advice you can offer.

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: Help, I beg of you.
on Oct 24, 2002 at 4:50:22 pm

1) Is it better to upgrade to a dual athlon, let's say at 1800 or 1600 than to get a p4 at 2.4? Can I run a dual athlon boar on 1 athlon?

There is no need dual a dual athlon w/ the Studio products. If you plan to upgrade to a higher end program in the future (like Edition for example) then you may want to think about dual processors.

2) In what way would a new video card help, as I will be doing minimal editing?

new video card or new video capture card? a new video card wont help at all. A new video capture card should help, but most likely will not work in your current setup.

3) The matrix, recorded from vhs, took 1.5 gig compressed. I would like to take videotapes and convert them to a single cd, and have them autorun for my customers in their dvd drives or their computers. Is this possible without losing resolution from the vhs format I recorded from? Or do I have to use multiple CD's. Should I just use DVD's?

What format do you save the video in when you put it on a CD?

4)My cd burner is an old external hp usb burner that makes more coasters than cd's, it always fails at the end. I would like to get
a new burner, with good software. Any recommendations?

Well, if you want to make DVDs then the DVR-A04 is the perfect fit for you since it does DVDs and CDs.

I hope this helped. My email address is jon@videoguys.com, feel free to email me there w/ any additional questions you may have.

- Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]