FORUMS: list search recent posts

AG-DVX100 - daremo

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alwayslearning
AG-DVX100 - daremo
on Oct 6, 2002 at 1:07:11 am

I put off buying the PD-150 so I could get the Panasonic AG-DVX100. I was waiting for Oct. 10 for it to be available. I emailed Panasonic to no avail, to find out if that was still a valid date.
YOU GOT ONE?!!
Did you get it Friday? If so, do you like it? Is it everything the literature says? I WILL be looking to get one? Is the place you ordered it from reputable? .... as in good reputation? :)

Tell me all you can if you don't mind. Thanks!!

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
P.S.
on Oct 6, 2002 at 1:10:25 am

You mentioned 3 modes.... two without auto-focus. What is the one with auto? I am fairly decent at manual focus so I don't mind that.

Also, what about batteries? What accessories does it actually come with? Mic?

what batteries are available? Info-Lithium? No memory, long lasting? Hours? Does it come with a light? A shoe?

:) .... sorry, just a bit axious to know all.

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
Re: P.S.
on Oct 6, 2002 at 1:28:55 am

A bit disappointed.

I went to promax.com and they don't show it on their site. Maybe their site needs updating?

Did you just call them or what?

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

Ted Jan
on Oct 6, 2002 at 4:23:29 pm

Promax is one of the few that got the AG DVX in quality and is continously getting them as opposed to some of the other retailers.

You have to call them and talk to them. I know that their waiting list is like a mile long right now. Heard someone who called them recently probably won't get it till October 23rd. But who knows...

I got mine on Friday morning when I was at work and I rush home and pretty much ripped the box open after work. It really is awesome. First hand reports from those who got them all say that the picture quality is as good if not better than the PD150... I don't think more than 100 were shipped out with the first shipment.

It comes with the following:

1 lithium ion battery model# cgr-d16 which is rated at 1600 mAh...not really sure what the length of time it can run but most first hand reports are complaining that the battery isn't sufficient.

1 AC adapter kit
1 AC cable
1 DC cable
1 wireless remote which has quite a lot of functions on it
1 battery for remote
1 eye cup
1 microphone holder for attaching a external mic
4 screws for attaching microphone holder to camera body
1 microphone holder adapter for attaching microphone holder to camera body
1 sholder strap
1 cleaning tape

Manual focus is when you are in the Progressive modes. Otherwise when in 60i mode, you can use both. I'm going to post some first hand reports so you can see what others are saying...they are probably better at judging the quality of the camera than I am:

Maz at iciclestudios.com has the following to say:

I must say we are pretty impressed with it so far. The picture quality is so clean and solid!...We are saying goodbye to the XL1-S! This so far the best Mini DV camera in it's price range. Better than the XL1 and better than the PD150. It's low light ability is so far pretty impressive! Haven't done a full test yet.

Focus and zoom are very well designed. LCD and viewfinder are of high quality and the camera is overall pretty well balanced. So far the 24P options looks pretty good... Not as jittery as we thought it would be...still doing more testing on that.

There are so many option to this camera that it's almost overwhelming! =)

My only complain is the supplied battery doesn't last long enough (especially with the LCD on)...other than that the camera rocks!

Stephen van Vuuren has the following to say:

Okay, it's here and given it a quick test. Long review will have to wait until battery charges and I have more time with it but camera arrived in perfect shape (thank you ProMax). Overall impression of camera is pretty solid, build quality seems Canon/Sony high-prosumer or better on stuff I've tried so far.

(1) Picture quality is fantastic, certainly better than my XL1 with manual lens.

(2) Focus controls on lens are to my liking. Focus is light but extremely accurate. Not "loose" as some reported. As good, if not better, than the focus ring on my previous Canon 14X manual. Sure, there are no foot/meter markings, but the 1-100 scale range viewable on LCD is much more usable I quickly found.

I did a couple of tests, zoomed in, set focus, noted LCD number, zoomed out. Zoomed back in, both actual focus and LED stayed exact. Pull and rack focus moves will be easy for me to execute.

(3) Zoom, manual and motor, work well. I don't often do zooms in shots, but seemed to work as well as old XL1.

(4) LCD monitor sharpness exceeded my expectations. I see no need for lugging my 14" Sony to check focus. Color is LCD, not broadcast tube, but still seemed accurate to my eye.

(5) 1/24 and 1/48 shutter speeds available in 24p mode. Nice. Film motion blur, here we come :)

You can find first report from users who are definitely more in the professional level with using cameras than I am here:

http://2-pop.5thavehosting.com/cgi-bin/discussion/forums/panasonicAGDVX100c...

Return to posts index

Ted Jan
Re: P.S....oh forgot to mention
on Oct 6, 2002 at 4:43:27 pm

ProMax is very reputable. They sponsor quite a bit of the different info seminar tours in DV Video that make their way across the US. That's how I know about them. Plus the president of the company talks to people on the different forums all the time. He was the one that annouced to everyone that Promax was taking preorders without any money down and you could cancel at anytime. And they didn't charge your credit card till the camera actually shipped.

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
on Oct 7, 2002 at 12:41:48 pm

Wow, thank you daremo! This is good info.... ESPECIALLY the link to that forum! Everything I need to know about this camera is there.
I'll be ordering one today. Hope it's not too long to get one.

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
Got it!
on Oct 25, 2002 at 8:16:03 pm

Well, I got my AG-DVX100 today. I've barely done more than make sure it turns on. WHAT AN IMAGE! I love it.
AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

Ted Jan
Re: Got it!
on Oct 26, 2002 at 6:53:09 pm

hey...if you've been keeping up with the panasonic agdvx100 forum...you should know that the f5 and f6 settings have default cinegamma set on. Which can make the picture look more dull. Also, you have to open the iris more if you want to match what you see in the f1 to f4 settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]