FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I edit from my DVD's rather than my Hi8 tapes?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pjpfuchs
Can I edit from my DVD's rather than my Hi8 tapes?
on Oct 3, 2002 at 2:06:18 am

Hi, I'm a would-be home video passionate. My old PC won't get me there. In short: I have nothing and I have the liberty to build the whole solution from scratch. I spent hours reading on your web site in the last few months.

I'm impressed by the Pinnacle Pro-ONE RTDV - probably because of the image stabilization that would hopefully help improving my footage.

That said, I'm still not decided, as I haven't answered a key needs: Productivity, for me, would start w/ easily accessible footage. I have some 25 Hi8 tapes, and winding and rewinding them in my camcorder, seeking for those few funny minutes shot 10 years ago is boring and inefficient.

First thing I'd like to do w/ the capture card and DVD authoring software is transforming my whole library of 25 tapes into DVD's, cut in easily accessible scenes. Of course, I guess all of that would be in MPEG2, and here's the question:

Will I be able to use those DVD's as "master copies", i.e. take the MPEG2 footage back on my PC and re-work, edit, cut, add transitions & effects etc. for creating a final DVD - hopefully much more enjoyable to watch than the original footage? Wink

Thanks for getting me started!
JP

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
Re: Can I edit from my DVD's rather than my Hi8 ta
on Oct 3, 2002 at 10:38:47 am

You basically capture your Hi 8 footage and edit them using your editing software before commiting them to DvD. Besides, capturing 25 hi8 tapes would be about 50 hours of footage. You would need a string of 120 gig hdd's (7 to be exact) to hold it all. I would capture maybe 2 tapes at a time, look them over by storyboarding them in Premier, pick out the best shots, edit them to what you want, Encode them into mpeg 2 files for dvd burning.

Return to posts index

pjpfuchs
Re: Can I edit from my DVD's...?
on Oct 4, 2002 at 3:21:38 am

Thanks - once my "rushes" are on DVD, is it possible to get them back into Premiere?

Is it possible to edit MPEG2 files directly in Premiere, cut them, add effects, etc?

If not, is it possible to convert MPEG2 files back to a format that Premiere can handle?

JP

Return to posts index

Ted Jan
on Oct 4, 2002 at 3:57:07 am

It's going to be a little bit of an effort on your part to get your video clips off of a DVD and into a format that Premiere can use.

Mpeg2 clips gets converted into VOB format when burned on to DVDs. Premiere can't edit VOB files so you have to extract the clips from the VOB file to Mpeg2. The extraction process is quite long.

The latest version of Premiere, I believes lets you edit Mpeg2 files.

I would suggest that you might want to think about using a DVD-RAM drive or maybe a DVD-RW drive. DVD-RAM, you can store a little bit more than 9 GBs so you can store you stuff in AVI files instead of MPEG2.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Oct 6, 2002 at 11:38:00 am

Yeah, thats true. But who needs to edit Mpg 2 files any way? If your AVI files are edited right the first time, there's no need to re-edit them after the're encoded to Mpeg 2. Dosen't make any sense to me.

Return to posts index

Ted Jan
on Oct 6, 2002 at 4:48:39 pm

I think the person is trying to use DVD as a storage medium instead of DV tape or something else. In other words, trying to create a clip library using DVDs.

I was thinking you probably could store AVI files on DVD-R instead of converting to MPEG2. Though one would be limited to only 9 minutes of video at a time in AVI mode which sort of sucks...

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Oct 7, 2002 at 2:38:24 am

Sonic says MyDVD uses a new OpenDVD standard that allows you to re-open a DVD and edit it. Whether you can edit the mpeg clips or not is another question.

It is possible to edit Mpeg IBP at the I frames and have only the changes re-rendered. Ulead's products have allowed it for several years. Now Pinnacle claims Studio 8 will do it. It may not suit professionals, but it is possible.

Return to posts index

pjpfuchs
on Oct 7, 2002 at 6:52:50 pm

Thanks, the whole discussion is helpful to me. The suggestion of storing a bunch of short AVI files may be the most suitable to my needs.

Indeed the only thing I want is all my rushes on DVD, instead on Hi8 or DV tapes. Tapes suck because of the huge time spent on seeking for the right rush, rewinding and so.

Also, duplicating my master tapes on DVD's addresses a disaster recovery concerns. 1 copy at home + another copy anywhere else (office, family, bank safe...) answers the "If the house burns" issue. When I think about it, provided that my family is alive and well, the only things that are not replaceable in our home are family pictures & videos. There can be sentimental value in objects inherited from parents, gifts received from beloved ones etc. but the "emotional load" is not as significant as w/ old pictures & videos. My kids have a blast when they see themselves when they were 2 or 3 - this is more precious than any jewel.

Of course, I could edit a "nice" viewable movie, burn it in DVD and never need to edit it again. I want to do that later. My only ambition for now is duplicating tapes onto DVD's for 1) easier access to information and 2) duplication for disaster recovery concerns.

It sounds like pretty basic concerns to me. I thought many guys like me would have sismilar concerns, so vendors would have addressed that as a basic customer problem to solve :-)

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Oct 8, 2002 at 11:27:28 am

That may be true, but DV Tapes take up alot less shelf space than DvD Discs. Seems to me it would make sense to store all your Edited AVI footage on DV Tape, so the next time you need to burn a disk, load it to the harddrive, render to Mpeg2 and burn away. I know that Mpe2 editors are expensive, and time consuming and some cases too complicated to deal with.

Return to posts index

steve_avs
on Oct 9, 2002 at 5:51:49 am

I know you've got a few ideas already but let me add my suggestion.

Firstly, be very frugal when it comes to which clips you want to keep. Usually you can reduce the amount of storage required considerably this way. Use the clip editing tools in your editing applicaiton to do this before commiting them to a given format.

I suggest if you have a editing application capable of importing and exporting to mp2 you use it. Premiere 6 and up should have this ability but without a hardware encoder/decoder on board your capture card it will be a slow process, very slow if you have an older computer. It will take a little longer to encode and decode but the space saving and ease of burning to a DVD later will make it worthwhile. If you don;t wnat to do this you can keep in .avi format but the size requirement will be anywhere from 60-200% more, which means a lot of DVD's.

Next, build a set of 'data' DVDs and just copy the files over there in logical folders. Perhaps you could group several tapes together onto one DVD this way.

As your source footage is analog anyway, you can use a fairly high compression for the MP2 files and this way you may squeeze about 100 minutes of video or more onto a DVD-R. If you'd used a DV format to begin with I'd say your compression should be less to preserve the original quality as much as possible. You may only get around 80 minutes this way.

When you're ready to put them together, just copy them to your HD from the DVD, edit them and burn them to a new DVD directly in the DVD format.

Good Luck.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]