FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to choose? (new set-up)

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BIC
What to choose? (new set-up)
by
on Sep 9, 2003 at 1:41:49 am

Hi guys, here are few questions, I will try to be as short as possible.

What I want to do:
- I want to transfer good quality VHS tapes to DVD without loosing quality
- I want to transfer mini DV tapes from my Digital JVC camcorder (GR-DVL505u) to DVD without loosing quality (if possible).
- Play and have fun with video editing/authoring.

My Digital Camcorder
- JVC camcorder (GR-DVL505u). It is IEEE 1394 compliant (I think it is what you call Firewire). It has RCA output cable too.

I'm about to buy this computer
CPU: P4 2.4G 512K, 800FSB
1G DDR RAM
Motherboard: ASUS P4P800-DX 865PE 5PCI 4DDR-DUAL AGP8
HD: W. Digital 120G Hard Disk
Video Card: ASUS V9520 GFX-5200 128MB AGP8x TD TV (I play GAMES)

Question:
I'm planning to buy the Pioneer RA06 DVD Writer. Is it a good choice?

The salesman at the computer store tells me that my motherboard has a FireWire entry that I could use to capture video from my camcorder. Is this right? Is it as good as a separate video capture card?

If the FireWire connection of the ASUS motherboard is not good enough to capture camcorder video, WHAT SHOULD I USE? WHICH CARD SHOULD I BUY?

To capture my VHS tapes (analog) which card should I buy? Should I buy a card that has both Firewire and analog entries?

I understand that I will get some editing software with the Pioneer RA06 DVD. Is it good enough to do what I want to do? If not what should I buy? I want ease of use and good results.

I'm new to video transfer (to DVD), I need help. I'm a beginner, but I'm looking for good quality result at an affordable price :-) Could you give me a few options.

Thanks!

BIC

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: What to choose? (new set-up)
on Sep 9, 2003 at 3:32:49 pm

check out Pinnacle moviebax DV. it will gove you hardware to get analog vidoe in and out of your computer in addition to the built in firewire. Movirbox includes the full version of Pinnacle Studio software which will allow you to edit your video and also put it on a DVD.

http://www.videoguys.com/moviebox.html

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

BIC
by
on Sep 9, 2003 at 9:28:26 pm

Is the ASUS mother Board "ASUS P4P800-DX 865PE 5PCI 4DDR-DUAL AGP8
" Firewire entry as good as a video capture card with FW entry?

BIC

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Sep 10, 2003 at 4:54:33 pm

the video quality of all firewire ports is the same. all the firewire port is is a port - a way to transfer data.

we have had the best success with TI based chipsets for FireWire ports. I am not certain which chips ASUS uses, but i think they are TI. This is worth checking out.

Gary
Videoguys.com

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]