FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows 2000 Pro or Windows Millenium?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GKAKO
Windows 2000 Pro or Windows Millenium?
on Sep 23, 2002 at 3:48:34 am

I'm getting my pieces together for my new NLE and DVD Authoring PC powered by AMD Athlon 2200.
I will not touch Windows XP at all. Which of the 2 Windows OS would you recommend for my applications? Windows 2000 Pro or Windows ME? Can't make a decision. Please help and explain.

Thanks,
GKAKO

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: Windows 2000 Pro or Windows Millenium?
on Sep 23, 2002 at 6:10:25 pm

if you don't want to go w/ XP then 2000 is the next best thing. I do not recommend 98/ME for anything anymore.

- Jon

Return to posts index

John Q
on Sep 24, 2002 at 4:00:50 am

Yes, you want either XP or 2000 just so you can use NTFS drive formatting and not worry about filesize limitations.

While XP is not required for every video capture card, it does offer native firewire support. You can add firewire support to 2000, but it's designed into XP, so more firewire devices are supported in XP. You'll see more and more capture cards requiring XP, like my Matrox RT.X100 running on dual Athlons.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Sep 24, 2002 at 1:39:31 pm

Just out of curiousity, why do you dislike XP?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Sep 25, 2002 at 1:30:30 am

Maybe he objects to the annoying product activation, which didn't even slow down the real software pirates, who had cracked versions of XP on the street before Microsoft released it.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Sep 26, 2002 at 2:57:53 pm

Well, as much as I hate XP and XP-Pro, You may have to go with XP Pro over W2K. Simply because W2K infastructure was designed for Pentium based systems. It will run well on Athalon chips but will quirk on you from time to time. But then again, anything is better than ME. Good Luck.

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Sep 26, 2002 at 11:36:48 pm

my home machine runs on xp pro and its not bad at all. XP is a great OS, now, when it first came out I wasn't recommending it at all. Now I have to run it for Avid Xpress DV 3.5 and others, like John Q, pretty much have to run it for the RTX100.

If you're getting a new machine today, you should get XP unless you are going to be using an application that does not work well under XP.

- Jon

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Sep 30, 2002 at 11:18:21 am

I would guess that XP or XP-Pro is O.K. but I feel that W2K is a bit more stable and less of a resource hog than XP. As far as running any Avid Products goes, NT 4.0 would be the choice for most pros since Avid's main design was NT to begin with, from Meridian up to Symphony.
I have no real beef against XP. The thing that bothers me is thats the only OS system that you can get from most manufacturers and are stuck with. I prefer built to order machine company's. Dell won't even allow you to order W2K on any of their machines except their servers. Gateway will allow you order 2K on most any of their machines, they know the importance of stability and bend to the wishes of Professional Video Editors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]