FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motherboard suggestions?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oosal
Motherboard suggestions?
on Sep 22, 2002 at 2:46:40 pm

I am about to build a new system but i dont know much about mother boards. i have been looking on price watch and i have noticed that you can get a p4 2.53 for under 300 dollars with motherboard and fan. But what i dont know is, what motherboards are gonna be best for editing.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Motherboard suggestions?
on Sep 22, 2002 at 9:49:09 pm

Before you start shopping for motherboards, you should decide what editing/capture system you plan to use. Most video capture card manufacturers have very specific compatibility requirements. All would basically have to be fast with lots of memory (512 MB or more).

One basic requirement is to have at least two hard drives. The video hard drive should typically be a large 7200 rpm ATA-100 as master on the secondary IDE channel. If you try to use just one hard drive or have the video drive on IDE1, you'll drop frames during capture and export.

Then you have to consider whether you want a realtime system or enjoy waiting for rendering. A realtime system will have very strict minimum requirements and cost lots of money. If you're using this system to make money, you want the fastest realtime system you can afford. (Mine is a dual Athlon 2100 Matrox RT.X100 with 1 Meg RAM. It's FAST!)

You will also want to decide if you want realtime analog output, so you can preview the video fullscreen on an analog monitor. My X100 supports that. An ADS Pyro does not.

Do you need to digitize analog, digital, or both?

Bottomline, you need to pick your digitizer first, then build a system to support it based on the video card manufacturer's recommendations.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]