FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMD or Intel CPU?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Digital Alchemist
AMD or Intel CPU?
on Aug 22, 2002 at 5:07:01 pm

Hi,

I'm planning on purchasing a Matrox RT.X100 and wondering which CPU should I use? I know both are ok.

I also want to use a Dual board.

Thanks,

Jim

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: AMD or Intel CPU?
on Aug 23, 2002 at 5:10:44 am

I'm using an Asus A7M266-D with dual Athlon 2100's. Duals help with Premiere for effects that require rendering, like scrolling titles, and most export transcoding other than the realtime DVD export. Duals don't really help for Realtime Export for DVD, which is limited to realtime by the hardware. My duals are running at about 20% utilization each during realtime export.

You do want the drive configuration Matrox recommends.

IDE1 MAS - boot
IDE1 SLA - export
IDE2 MAS - video
IDE2 SLA - cd/dvd

I tried an Audigy, as originally recommended, but it caused frequent BAD_POOL_CALLER BSOD. I'm back to using the built-in C-Media audio until the Audigy problem is fixed. For me, the C-Media would give an occasional pop, but it apparently was only an output problem. The original video and audio were fine each time it happened and I went back and played them over.

Don't know about the tested dual Xeon board, other than Xeon's cost a lot more than Athlon MP's.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: AMD or Intel CPU?
on Aug 24, 2002 at 1:58:34 pm

Here is our advice. These ar enot hard rules, just our take on the current situation.

If you are going to run a single processor system, we recommend P4 2.2 or faster. If you are goijng to go dual processor then it's we say get daul Athlon 2000+.

On our tests and Matrox's we've found that a single P4 delivers a ton of NLE performance. I talking with Matrox, they say it is attributable to utilization of multimedia extensions in the new P4 chips.

Gary
Videoguys.com

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]