FORUMS: list search recent posts

still jerky... pls help!!!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DDT
still jerky... pls help!!!
by
on Aug 19, 2002 at 1:14:13 am

I recently did a big upgrade on my comptuer to a P4 1.8Ghz with a new WD 800JB 8MB buffer hard drive to avoid the jerkiness when I capture from my miniDV camcorder. I am using Premier 6 software for DV editing.

Althought the jerkiness is not as bad as before it is still present!!! I'm starting to think it's not my computer... maybe some settings in Premier I can do to reduce this problem. What I am trying to do is capture and edit the video on my computer then burn it onto VCD.

Any advice is great appreciate... I really mean it!!!!

DDT

Return to posts index

David LaBorde
Re: still jerky... pls help!!!
on Aug 20, 2002 at 10:31:41 am

DDT,

Do you mean jerkiness as in playback on the monitor (i.e. Premiere monitor) or jerkiness as in dropped frames ?? The solution is different depending on what you are actually experiencing.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: still jerky... pls help!!!
on Aug 21, 2002 at 2:23:06 am

I'd guess he means dropped frames. The solution for that is a large dedicated 7200 rpm hard drive on IDE2 for capturing your video.

If you capture your video to the boot drive, you will drop frames, as Windows has priority and will interrupt a capture to do operating system maintenance. When it does, the hard drive head will step wildly away from the tracks where you're trying to save the video. Linear bit transfer rates have improved dramatically, but the head stepper motor has the same step rate. Even an 8 MB buffer is only a little over 2 seconds of video, if the video could take priority of the buffer, which it can't. To capture the continuous video stream, you need a dedicated hard drive on a differenct I/O channel from the boot drive.

The other limitation you'll run into is a 2-4 GB filesize limit on FAT32 drives, depending on your OS and application. 2 hours of video uses 26 GB. Even on DVD, it's 4.7 GB. You'll want Win2k or WinXP, so you can format your drives in NTFS format, which doesn't have a filesize limit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]