is it my hard drive?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DDT
is it my hard drive?
by
on Aug 16, 2002 at 8:34:18 am

Hi there,

I have begun w/ a Celeron 333Mhz w/ 256 SDRAM and started to do some DV editing from my JVC miniDV camcorder. One problem of concern is that the video I've capture is "jerky" so....

I have upgraded my computer to a P4 1.8A GHz w/ 256 DDR RAM w/ a new motherboard (ASUS P4B533) so that I can do better. The same video is still jerky.... it was originally captured jerky w/ my slow CPU and HD probably? It also could be that my 20GB HD (Fujitsu MPG3204AT 5200rpm UDMA100) was and is still too slow? I was thinking of getting a large and faster IDE 7200rpm HD instead of a SCSI to save $$$.

I welcome any comments/advice. Thanks!

DT

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: is it my hard drive?
on Aug 16, 2002 at 10:31:07 am

Hi there
I'd recommend getting a 40gig 7200 drive to run Windows and other programs off of and a 2nd drive 80gig 7200 or more (up to you) just for your Audio/Video, hopefully that will solve the problem. Also before doing that I would try deleting all my previous captured footage and try capturing a few of the scenes again now that you have your new computer, maybe they were captured jerky from your other computer in the first place.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: is it my hard drive?
on Aug 16, 2002 at 6:14:23 pm

Yes, you need 2 hard drives, one for Windows and the other a dedicated video capture drive. They also need to be on different IDE channels, so they won't interfere with each other. Your 20 GB drive is good enough for your boot drive. You need a large 7200 rpm on your secondary IDE channel for capturing your video. The video you've already captured shows signs of dropped frames, where the video and audio freeze momentarily. You'll need to capture it again with that second drive.

If you aren't running Win2k or XP, you should consider upgrading. If you already are, then make sure your drives are formatted in NTFS format. That way, the video files can be larger than the 2 GB limit imposed by FAT32. DV uses 13 GB per hour of video. An 80 GB 7200 rpm drive or larger handles most video editing tasks easily.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]