FORUMS: list search recent posts

capturing video from DVDs

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bradchambers
capturing video from DVDs
on Aug 15, 2002 at 6:53:30 pm

Is it possible to capture video from DVDs? I don't know what kind of copy protection might be employed to prevent one from capturing clips from DVDs. What I want to do is capture short clips from my Star Trek Next Gen and forthcoming Babylon 5 DVDs and make short videos set to music from either mp3s or CD. Are there any known problems with what I would like to do?

Thanks,
brad

Return to posts index

Goodspeed
Re: capturing video from DVDs
on Aug 16, 2002 at 5:33:04 am

I've been doing this for quite awhile. You shouldn't have any problem.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Aug 16, 2002 at 10:43:10 am

It's really quite easy to do with the proper equipment.
With a Digital mixer like the MX-Pro from videonics, you simply can run the SVHS out of the DVD Player into one of the inputs of the MX-Pro. Then run out of the mixer (Via SVHS Out) into a VHS, SVHS, Mini-DV, deck. If there is macrovision incorporated in the disk you wish to take clips from, the MX-Pro mixer beats it thanks in part of it's full field TBC built in. If you wish to capture it directly to your video hard drive, simply pick up an analog converter with firewire out like the Canopus ADVC-100. Take the output of the Mixer and input it into the Converter and firewire it out directly to your video captureing software on your hard drive. This way, you can edit it faster for the clips you want.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Aug 16, 2002 at 6:19:00 pm

You can also use hacker utilities to rip the DVD directly, but it's really not worth the effort. What you really want is an exact copy of the original, and that's not possible for several reasons. Mainly, commercial DVD's are dual layer, containing up to 9.4 GB of data, which just can't fit on a 4.7 GB DVD-R without a lot of work to reauthor the DVD. Add up what your time and 2 premium quality DVD-R's cost, and you'll find you're better off just buying a previously viewed copy at your local video rental store.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]