FORUMS: list search recent posts

8mm/VHS/Beta to DVD - Help Plz!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stixx
8mm/VHS/Beta to DVD - Help Plz!
on Aug 10, 2003 at 1:19:22 am

All I really want to do is move my older 8mm/VHS/Beta movies to DVD. I've read many, many web pages and advertisements regarding software and hardware. Now I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Ideally, I would like to move all my old analogy videos (with audio of course) to my PC. From their I would like to edit, cut-n-paste and put together movies - then burn to a DVD.

Do I need to have a hardware encoder as part of my video capture card? I'm under the impression that this will help keep the audio/video sync where it belongs as well as keeping th fps at 30+?

Should I use a unit that copies native MPEG-2 directly from my analog device to my PC?

Basic spec's of what I have now:
p4 3.06ghz
1gb 3400 ram
240gb serial HD
250gb ide HD(s)
GeForce FX 5600 AGP 256mb DDR
ATI 9700 Pro AGP 128mb DDR
Sony 510 DVD burner
Betamax player - with RCA video/auto & coax out.

What I really need is a non-sales person who has lots of this kinda of experience that I could email or chat with here until I could get a handle on this complex subject. Any information and suggesions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

stixx
Re: 8mm/VHS/Beta to DVD - Help Plz!
on Aug 17, 2003 at 4:40:58 pm

I've done a lot more research since my original post, and now
all I can say is that I'm a bit overwhelmed.

1) Do I need a hardware encoder as part of my
video capture card? I'm under the impression that this
will help keep the audio/video sync where it belongs
as well as keeping the fps at 30+?

2) Should I use a Time Based Conversion unit?

3) Does my Sony510 DVD burner have either a TBC or HW
encoder?

4) Should I use an external DVD burner that has a TBC and filters
installed.

5) If I use an external DVD burner will I be able to edit the video?

6) Should I use a device that copies directly from Analog to MPEG-2 or from Analog to some intermediate format for editing and then convert to MPEG-2?

7) Another thought was to buy a new Digital Sony
camera which will still be able to view my older 8mm
analogy sony tapes, use this to input into the video
capture unit. This will completely remove the
video/audio sync issue?

8) Since I'm just moving home moves to DVD, should I
concern myself with the removal of the Macrovision
protection stuff?

9) Should I concern myself with filtering my video/audio?

I would very much appreciate any help and am willing to communicate via phone, email or IM in addition to this fourm.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ron Evans
on Aug 18, 2003 at 2:40:32 am

You have a number of options. If you don't have a current Camcorder buy a Sony D8 with pass through which would allow you to play your 8m tapes and pass through and convert to DV the analogue vhs and beta tapes. You will need a 1394 interface on your PC which you may alreaady have if its a modern mother board for your P4. YOu could edit with any number of programs and convert to MPEG2 with again a number of encoders like CCE Basic.
YOur other option is to buy a stand alone DVD recorder ( Panasonic. Pioneer or Sony ) to encode your video, transfer to PC in your DVD drive, author/edit with something like Ulead and burn to DVD. The advantage of this way is you will get TBC, filtering and audio sync with AC3 audio in realtime and for those programs not needing editing it becomes a realtime transfer.
I have a Panasonic E30 edit my videos in Premiere then output from the PC to the Panasonic, transfer the disc to the PC and author with Ulead Workshop.

Ron Evans

Return to posts index

old4at
on Oct 19, 2003 at 2:38:03 am

what motherboard are you using?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]