FORUMS: list search recent posts

Starting Over with XP

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jester65
Starting Over with XP
on Aug 11, 2002 at 3:50:41 am

I'm getting rid of my old '98 OS that has been working fine and going to XP. I currently am using a Pinnacle DV500 card and Premiere 6.0. However, with XP when I load everything and download all the updated drivers, my system is still screwy. I can import clips, but not manipulate or play them on the timeline. As soon as the program initializes I get an "Instant Video RT" error that tells me "Initialization Failed. Restart computer or reload Pinnacle software." Well, I've done all of that repeatedly. Any suggestions?
My system is Athlon 1.4Ghz, 512RAM, 40GB&100GB 7200rpm HD's.

Return to posts index

jgenovese
Re: Starting Over with XP
on Aug 11, 2002 at 4:13:00 pm

II have a Matrox RT.X100 that I got from videoguys. After installing it the first time, I would get runtime errors when I tried to start X.Tools and a slightly different problem when I tried to start Premiere. I tried several different things to see if I could determine what was causing the problem. As a last resort, I formatted the system drive and reloaded XP Pro. Then I installed the drivers for my video and sound system. Then I loaded Premiere and it's upgrade. Next I installed the RT.X100 board and X.Tools. Everything worked fine. I loaded my email program and got it working... still fine. I loaded a couple of other programs.... still fine. I installed the XP Critical Updates from Microsoft..... Still OK. Then I loaded some of the XP recommended patches.... Runtime errors came back. I was able to uninstall the patches and I'm back up and running. I wonder if Matrox got their software certified by Microsoft, if these compatibility problems would go away.
Good Luck with your new system.
John

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Aug 16, 2002 at 11:13:32 am

No, it's not the software. It's the OS system. Even though Windows 98Se is very stable, your stuck with Fat-32 and will not be able to format your Video HDD to NTFS. Windows ME is about the same but is classified as a Virus rather than a stable OS System. XP? XP is nothing but a resource hog and is one notch up from being another virus, although you can format your drives to NTFS. If you really want stability and compatibilty and are serious about Video Editing, might I suggest Windows 2000 Pro. This system is used by more serious and professionals than any other system on the market. It's extremly stable and is built on NT Technology, (The standard in high end Video Broadcast production)
Why ride a Pinto around the block when you can ride a Rolls Royce!

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 16, 2002 at 12:06:05 pm

XP is based on NT too. How about being a little more specific when trashing it.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Aug 16, 2002 at 12:51:44 pm

XP is junk and very little NT technology is used in it. It's a resource hog and you can spend your entire life chasing down problems with compatibility by constantly up grading drivers and patches. It's also a memory eater, so a 512 meg XP or XP-Pro is equal to a 312 Meg W2K. Also, it's known for crashes and as I said. It's one notch up from being classified as a virus.

Professional Videographers would rather shoot themselves first before ordering or building a Professional NLE with XP.
Try going to any of the professional non-linear editing system sites including this site and you'll see that All, Not some NLE systems have W2K as the standard OS system for Professional Video Editing and DVD creation. If you want Games, Ofice work, Yeah, XP would do the trick.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Aug 16, 2002 at 6:31:58 pm

Sorry, but XP is based on the NT and Win2K core. I admit I'm not thrilled with a lot of its background processing, like verifying that you're not pirating the OS every time you boot up. Product activation is also a nuisance to legitimate users that didn't slow down the real pirates at all. They had bootleg copies of XP without product activation on the street before Microsoft even shipped it.

I reluctantly upgraded to XP, because that's the only way to run an X100 card in a dual Athlon machine. Mine works fine, is completely stable, and VERY fast.

I expect newer video products will also be written to run only under XP, because firewire, USB 2.0, and DVD recorder support is built into and being added onto XP and not earlier operating systems.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 16, 2002 at 11:14:44 pm

http://www.canopus.com/US/products/res/pm_res.aspgraphics.com/index.html rightframe.html&0

http://www.guygraphics.com/rtx100/dvstormpowertowermp.html

Here are two sites offering Canopus and Matrox systems with XP Pro.

I found them in five minutes of searching. Sorry, but I could not find any turnkey systems on the Videoguys site.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Aug 17, 2002 at 12:01:22 am

Yes, I went to Canopus and found the Storm Rack listed below in 2 minutes and as you can see, all PROFESSIONAL Non-linear systems only come with Windows 2000 Pro. This is what I mean by, "Professional" not their Semi-professional products. You look up on any Professional turnkey non-linear systems whether by Canupos, or Avid and they will only come with 2000 pro. Why? because 2000 pro is the most stable system for Video Production and is fully built on NT technology without all the resources hogging up precious memory needed for rendering of either transitions, or Mpeg 2 files.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Specifications of Canopus's Storm Rack Profesional turnkey Editing system.............Around 7500.00

<1> Windows 2000 OS
<2> Adobe Premiere 6.0
<3> Canopus Storm Edit
<4> Xplode Professional
<5> Speed Controller
<6> Storm Navigator
<7> ACID Style
<8> Nero Burning ROM

I have an Avid Express Meridian running on NT and my other system has Adobe 6.0 (soon to be upgraded to 6.5) on Windows 2000 pro. I thought that XP/XP-Pro was great when Microsoft introduced them with all the hype, I got the XP-Pro and landed in the land of compatibility headaches and was experiencing the same problems as the original poster above was having. Someone introduced me to W2K and wala. All my problems disolved. Like I said, XP/XP-Pro is ideal for games and office work and some servers but to apply it to serious Professional video production is a joke and a bad one at that. Oh sure, you can run toys like Studio version 7, Motion Studio, and other things like that on it with little to no problems but when you even put a semi-professional edit software like Adobe 6.0, your going to run into many problems. Heck, even adobe recommends W2K as the ideal enviorment for smooth operation.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 17, 2002 at 2:19:16 am

Take a second look at the Canopus site. They have three new turnkey systems with XP Pro. One of the systems is the RES-500 with the DVRex RT and Premiere 6.0. Is that professional enough gear for you? Canopus says it is professional.

I am not a professional or even a prosumer. Nor, have ever used Windows 2000. However, I have found XP to be a great improvement over Windows 98/ME. Every application I have, including SpruceUp (which was discontinued months before XP came out), runs better and is more stable on XP. I have never had XP itself crash except for hardware problems. To my eyes, applications even run faster. That includes Media Studio Pro 6.5, Video Studio 5 & 6, and DVD Workshop.

Of course some hardware and software will not run on XP at all and some will not work right. Is that the fault of Microsoft or of the application/hardware manufacturer? Proprietary hardware such as the DV500 that were designed to work on earlier operating systems need to be updated to work with new operating systems. The Pinnacle support web site says there are XP drivers available for DV500 3.0 and 4.0. I assume that they did not work for jester65.

By the way, the Adobe site says Premiere is XP compatible. A lot of Pyro fire wire cards with Premiere have been sold. Could you direct me to the web page where Adobe recommends Windows 2000 over XP?

If his DV500 will not work in XP or in Windows 98 or Windows 2000 compatibility mode, jester65 may need to go back to Windows 98 or to a dual-boot system.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Aug 17, 2002 at 11:01:31 am

Your missing the point. Sure, your right when you say Adobe approves XP/XP-Pro but when it was first designed, Adobe designed it for W2K. Then, and only then did it later added the necessary drivers to be XP Compatible, and with it now being compatible, try using the plug-ins for it. When 6.0 was first introduced a few years ago, you could scroll down the list of specifications and find in the, "Recommended System Requirements", W2K.
The way I see it, Common sense would dictate that you use the software to the system it was designed for in the first place. Adobe would have never opted to redesign it's software for XP use. They only did so because of the giant leaping sales of XP over ME for more profits.

Another point you make is correct when you said that XP is better than ME. That's true. ME was supposed to be an upgrade from 98SE but wound up being a major virus to the many new computers that broke the 1000 Ghz barrier at that time. With the millions of complaints flooding into Microsoft, the designers quickly re-designed ME to XP and did fix alot of bugs that ME had. But my point is this. One can do a poll of professional non-linear editors right now to see which OS system they prefer and W2K would be chosen 98% of the time, with NT taking a 1% and the remaining 1% would preferring XP-Pro.

Yes, Canopus, like Adobe now approves XP-Pro, but you have to consider, they did it for the same reason why Adobe did it......Profits. Original Canopus designers designed their systems around W2K and still recommend it over XP-Pro.
If I were Jester65, I would load my system up with W2K and kiss my problems goodbye.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 17, 2002 at 1:07:30 pm

I am afraid that it is you who is missing the point. You previously asserted that professional users would rather shoot themselves before ordering or building a video editing system based on XP. I directed you to several sites (and can do more if you wish) that now offer systems with XP as the operating system. Do you really think Adobe and Canopus would commit suicide just to make Microsoft happy? Do you think system builders such as Safe Harbor and DVS Direct would build XP-based systems if they did not think they would sell? The fact is that as new operating systems come out, companies update their products or create new products to take advantage of the new operating systems.

It was not too long ago that sites such as the Videoguys did not recommend Windows 2000 for video editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]