FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with Install DV500 DVD on Dell Dem XPS T700r

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve49589
Help with Install DV500 DVD on Dell Dem XPS T700r
on Aug 10, 2002 at 6:12:13 pm

Hi,
I've had a seriously tough 14 hours trying to get my new DV500 DVD card into my machine. Just got the card Thursday afternoon and worked on it Thursday night and a good chunk of Friday...
I really hope that someone can help me out....
I sent this to VideoGuys tech support on Friday night, but thought I'd try here too.
System Config...
Running Win2k Pro, PC: Dell Dem XPST700r, 512 M DRAM, 20g 7200 HD ATA66, 100g 7200 HD ATA100 on the 66 card, Internal Zip Drive, CD Drive, CD Burner, Nic (PCI), SB Live! Val (PCI), 3Com PCI Md, nVidia Riva TNT2 64 (PCI)

Here's what happened (happens - I can recreate the problem)...
Installed Premier - okay
Installed Card and Break out box - okay
During boot up I cancelled everytime Win2k wanted to install or look for drivers.
I install the Pinnacle 4.0 software cd instead.
(At this point I have not been rebooting until I check around and look at all the IRQ settings...)
Reboot
I always get the following Blue Screen of Death. Can't even get into the machine in Safe Mode - won't let me - after specifing full safe mode I still get this error and machine locks...

***Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
***The system has halted****
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q315223 is a close match to this error - but it applies to XP and I'm running Win2k.

So...
Remove card - system starts okay (asks to check the hard drive for errors of course cause I had to shut the power off) System is fine and will start (but it does ask me to start installing all of the Pinnacle extra software (registration pages and such).

So...
(I did remove the Pinnacle 4.0 and associated software and made sure that all worked between all of my tries - left Premeir on the machine)

Tried to move around the cards (All of my PCI cards are full)
No joy.

Checked the IRQ settings PRIOR to install of drivers (when card was in and drivers installed but NOT rebooted yet)
LOTS of stuff on IRQ 9 including nVidia card, Intel PCI to USB Univ Host Controller, Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System, Pin Sys DV500 Overlay, TI OHCI firewire host controller, Ultra66 IDE controller, Nic card, Modem and Sound card - all PCI IRQ 9 (except the Microsoft thing - which is ISA IRQ 9).

Tried removing one of the cards (modem) - no joy, same thing.

Tried removing ALL PCI cards except ATA66 and nVidia - NO JOY!

Tried all the PCI slots and left the ATA66 in slot 3 - no joy.

Is the card fried or am I out of luck????

I've read that sharing IRQ's in Win2k is okay.
I've read that capture cards like to be on their own.
I've read that you should try other PCI slots (tried all of them - but left the ATA66 in slot 3 all the time)
I've read that you should not try to force the ICQ settings.
If I've got 15 IRQs - I'm only using 0, 1, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15 - only 9 is used numerous times.
IRQ 9 is used 7 times in my original configuration without the DV500 DVD set up.

Can't get anywhere folks - and I'd really appreciate some help.

NOTE: I have also gotten an other error at times - (just on Thursday night)...
Blue Screen in SAME spot as above...
STOP: 0x0000001E ( ... blah blah blah) ... a good match is Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q275678
The file name that the error mentions is NTOSKRNL.EXE

Thanks - sorry for the long message - figure I'd give you all of it.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]