FORUMS: list search recent posts

Device for merging two vid signals

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob McLaughlin
Device for merging two vid signals
on Aug 3, 2002 at 3:18:25 am

Scenario: Typically I may shoot an hour-long production (eg. kid's school play) When it comes time to edit, I'd like to include some beginning titles and some ending credits. It seems a waste of time and effort to capture the entire hour of vid and audio simply to add titles and credits, then export the end product. Basically the initial footage is often untouched.

Q: What type of "switcher" or signal merging shoud I consider to combine my computer based titles and credits with the raw footage direct from camera.
Anyone else already doing this / using this type of setup? or am I way off base with this idea?
thx...Rob

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Device for merging two vid signals
on Aug 3, 2002 at 9:41:40 pm

Yes, you can buy hardware to do this. It's usually referred to as LE, "linear editing". You'd need a title generator and switcher. Check out the DataVideo equipment on this website for examples of this type of hardware. Part of the problem with LE equipment is the quality loss in every step. You lose a little video quality every time you dub it.

You say that your initial footage is "often" untouched. "There lies the rub." In order to do even simple editing with LE hardware, you'll have to spend a lot more money than NLE, "non-linear editing", hardware and software will cost you. Plus the NLE equipment can do things with video that cost a small fortune with LE to create. NLE allows you to create output virtually indistinguishable from the original, especially if the original is digital rather than analog video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]