FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 Chip Camera Purchase

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alwayslearning
3 Chip Camera Purchase
on Aug 1, 2002 at 7:53:10 pm

Ok, within the month, I will be purchasing my first 3 chip camera.
I am considering the Canon XL1s, Sony DCR-VX2000, Sony DSR-PD150 (what is DSR vs. DCR?) and the new JVC (streamcorder?)-don't know much about that except from one ad.)
This link http://www.dvinfo.net/sony/skinny.htm has me leaning toward the PD150.
I don't want to go more than $4,000 at this time and I'd like that to include a light and a decent external shotgun mic. (any suggestions on the mic?)
Thanks for any input....

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

Super D
Re: 3 Chip Camera Purchase
on Aug 2, 2002 at 3:10:57 am

If you don't mind me asking, where are you going to buy the DSR-PD150 from and what is the best price you have found? That is the camera I want but I need to save a bit more since I just got the computer and Avid Xpress DV 3.5.

David

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Aug 2, 2002 at 4:00:05 am

Hi there
At my school we have PD150's and it is a great prosumer camera. Its my favorite out of all the camera's we get to work with, including the pro $50,000+ camera's. Its light, has great picture quality, all the manual control you need and tons of other features. Also one big factor is the accessories (batteries, mics, telephoto lenses) Sony has great prices on accessories. You can get a Sony 8 hour battery (lasts about 4-6 in use depending on conditions) for about the price it would cost you to get a 1 hour JVC battery (or other brand). Sony also has a great warranty and proven electonic ingenuity. Well I gotta get going, but hope you'll go with the Sony, you'll get a great camera, and tons more!
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jon Jon
on Aug 2, 2002 at 12:32:12 pm

Hi there!!
If you have budget $4000.00. I will looking on Canon GL-2 New Camcorder
from Canon (700 lines on camere side), Mic mixer XLR PRO from
studio1store, and Samson wireles mic UHF SERIES ONE (UHF microdiversity receiver and transmiter) with lapl mic , Samson Airline Hand transmiter (AX1) and Receiver AM1 and shoot gum mic Azdem SGM-2X. You can get all around $4000.00.
I have 2xXL1, 1xGL1 , 1XGL-2 And I'm happppppy.
Jon
jspisar@bellsouth.net

Return to posts index

JSUN
by
on Aug 2, 2002 at 8:30:24 pm

I too am a fan of the PD150, it will be my next mini-dv camera.

I like the XL-1s, but it's too obtrusive for documentary work (for the stuff I do anyway). The PD150 fits snugly in your hand and doesn't draw a lot of attention. This can be a very GOOD thing.

On the other hand the XL-1s has interchangeable lense, which is extremely useful. Though, they make a 35mm lense matte adapter box now, so it is possible to use PRO lense with the PD150.

In the world of DV I don't think you can go wrong with either of these two choices.

As far as the VX2000...

Image quality its the same as the PD-150, but It lacks features such as DV-CAM, balanced XLR inputs & B&W viewfinder.
You can buy an XLR adapter box for the VX2000 for around $200/US. Add a Sennheiser ME66 shotgun mic for around $270/US and you're ready to go.

I'm not a huge fan of the GL-1. Only time will tell for the GL-2.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
on Aug 4, 2002 at 12:45:24 pm

Jon Jon is right. Just picked up the new GL-2 from Canon and it's "UNBELIEVABLE"!!!!! Puts my Sony 2000 to Shame!

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
Update
on Aug 25, 2002 at 12:41:19 am

hmmmm....
It won't be within the month as I first thought. Looks more like another 2-3 weeks. The good thing about that is that it gives me more time to consider my options. The bad thing about it is that it gives me more time to consider my options. :)

I originally stated that I wanted to stay under $4K.
wellll..... I discovered the JVC GY-DV500U. A bit over $4K... like, about $4.5K...... THEN, I discover that does not include the lens! Too late. I'm hooked on it as a possibility and may go as high as $6K now since it seems I'd be getting a lot more camera/versatility/professionalism by going the extra $2K.

Is anyone familiar with this camera? 3 1/2" CCD's apparently allowing for good video/color in very low light and all the features it has is hard to resist.

Input?

AlwaysLearning

Also wanted to ask, if anyone is familiar with this, where is a good source to purchase lenses? The Fujinon site is confusing to me as a newbie. This JVC camera uses an industry standard 1/2" bayonett mount so I guess that allows for a good variety?

thanks...

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
Re: Update
on Aug 25, 2002 at 1:40:30 am

Here is the link to what I'm considering with this JVC.

(does anyone know anything about DV411 as a vendor?)

http://dv411.com/gydv500u.html#GY-DV500U_Accessories

I'm interested, if I get one, in the GY-DV500UL14 IDX Special.

It includes the professional 1.5" B&W viewfinder, a Fujinon lens that I know nothing about although maybe it is the one pictured and the dual battery charger and two batteries.

BTW, did I mention the camera uses the [so called?] industry standard NP-1 type battery or Anton Bauer. That I know is a name equated with quality.

Opinions? Please?

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
vacillation :)
on Aug 28, 2002 at 1:48:01 pm

Wow, what a month of considerations!

JSUN, could you elaborate on this comment please?

"Though, they make a 35mm lense matte adapter box now, so it is possible to use PRO lense with the PD150."

Would you have a link with more info?

After LOTS of research and consideration, I'm back to seriously looking at the PD-150.

My son helped me with a wedding last year where he used a borrowed PD-100. I was using my old, trusty, TR-700 single chip. We dug that out a few days ago, and the cuts from one camera to the other is SO mismatched, I've decided to stay in the $4000 range for a camera and go with two PD-150's instead of looking at the $6000 JVC GY-DV500U. As one person pointed out over on the Videomaker forum, no auto focus could be a real down side in a wedding or similar situation. Where time is available for manual focus, the JVC is probably better, but I won't always be using it where time is available.
Perhaps if my video business can afford it in the future, I'll go with a more pro camera.
Between the PD-150 and the VX-2000, looking at the link in my first post that started this thread along with weighing comments from many users, I think I'll go with the PD-150's.

I'll post again in the next couple weeks and let you all know what I actually did get and what I think of it/them since you all helped me in making a decision.

AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

Ted Jan
Re: vacillation :)
on Aug 28, 2002 at 8:01:42 pm

I don't know if you've checked this particular model out...but the new Panasonic AGDVX100 is about to be released in a couple of months and it is about $3800. It has both a auto focus and a pro level manual focus. Plus it can tape at several different fps: 24, 30 and 60.

It has 2 XLR audio inputs with phantom power as well as a LCD and b/w viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]