FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help a n00b today! Click on this poST! =o]

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
imachode
Help a n00b today! Click on this poST! =o]
on Jul 30, 2002 at 8:12:51 am

i'm basically putting together a system for my dad to do some very very basic video editing/capturing. i'm very comfortable with hardware, tweaking, and the like, but video capture/edit is quite foreign to me. i took about an hour to read through this forum and i gather that a good capture card for entry level is the pinacle studio deluxe. with the $75 rebate, it's not too bad. because i will only be here at my dad's place for a few weeks more and won't be here by his side to troubleshoot, i chose not to build him a system from scratch. instead, i opted for a dell 4500s with a p4 1.8ghz, 256mb pc2100 ram, 20gb 7200 ata100, lite-on 32x cdrw. he has a cannon dv recorder (can't remember the model at the moment) that uses firewire. all he is wanting to do is to capture short 2-4 minute clips from the dv recorder and save them in a format that he display in power point for his presentations using a LCD projector. no dvd authoring needed. export to vhs might be nice. is the pinnacle studio deluxe overshooting his needs? or is it right on?

thanks in advance

ps. i'm planning on getting another 60gb 7200 ata100 drive.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Help a n00b today! Click on this poST! =o]
on Jul 30, 2002 at 2:14:53 pm

Since time and easy installation are important to you, I would get an OHCI compliant fire wire card such as Studio 7 or the ADS Pyro. With a DV camcorder the analog capture capability of Studio Deluxe is not necessary.

Return to posts index

imachode
on Jul 31, 2002 at 1:16:26 am

great! thanks, i'll check these out tonight. do these come with software?

and what would be the best format to integrate into power point?

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jul 31, 2002 at 1:46:37 am

This is a link to the ADS site with the specs on their products. For entry level, I would recommend the ADS Pyro Basic with Video Studio 6.

http://www.adstech.com/products/intro/products.asp

This is link to the Pinnacle site. Their entry-level product is Studio DV 7 with a fire wire card and software. A new version, Studio 8, is due out August 1.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ListProducts.asp?Langue_ID=7

I prefer Video Studio 6, but I am not an expert and most experts recommend Studio DV 7.

Sorry, I cannot help you with the Power Point question. The Power Point manual tell you what formats it will accept and the Pinnacle and ADS product specification pages will tell you what video formats the programs can create.

Return to posts index

jamez_H
on Jul 31, 2002 at 6:25:58 pm

Have captured some video for Powerpoint presentations for people at work. I use MPEG though the Windows media formats may work as well.

One important thing to keep in mind (at least for Powerpoint 2000): video clips are not "embedded" like graphics when inserted into a Powerpoint file; they are linked to. In other words, if the presentation is burned to a CD then the video clip(s) must go with it. We create a subfolder to hold the presentation file and clips; this way there should be no problem when transferring to another drive or creating a CD.

James

Return to posts index

Jon Jon
on Aug 1, 2002 at 2:35:44 am

If you are comfortable with hardware go to SCSI HD Atlas, Piro DV capture card and Studio DV-7. All is easy and work like dog!!

Return to posts index

imachode
on Aug 8, 2002 at 1:44:20 am

thanks for all the help!

i was just about to purchase the pyro dv capture card because it seemed like the perfect solution when my dad decided that he wants to be able to capture analog as well... =op so darn. back at square one. any suggestions? remember that quality does not have to be cutting edge since the primary usage of this will be on a LCD projector for power point. thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Aug 8, 2002 at 5:47:27 am

There are a bazillion (I’ve been talking to my nieces again) choices for analog capture.

1.Some DV camcorders have a “pass through mode” that will let you connect an analog source to your camcorder and pass it on as DV to the computer.

2. There are a number of combo cards with firewire and analog in capabilities, including cards from Dazzle, Canopus, Snazzi and Pinnacle Systems. Pinnacle’s Studio Deluxe gets the most publicity.

3. Dazzle and Canopus, among others, have analog-to-digital converters. I know for a fact that the Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge works with the Pinnacle and Pyro cards.

4.There are a number of USB capture devices that capture AVI or Mpeg.

5. ATI, Matrox, and Visiontek make AGP cards that have Mpeg capture capability. I had a bad experience with a previous version of the ATI All-In-Wonder card and I don’t know anything about the Matrox card, but a relative of mine has a Visiontek Ecstasy Everything (I think that is what it is called) and I have been impressed with the quality of its Mpeg 1 capture.

Most people would recommend the Pinnacle Studio Deluxe for the analog/DV capture capability or the Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge for its compatibility. As an alternative, you could add both the Pyro Basic for DV capture and the Visiontek card for Mpeg 1 capture. Video Studio 6, which I believe comes with the Pyro Basic, is an excellent program for non-destructive editing of Mpeg and I know it works with the Mpeg from the Visiontek card. The trick is to create a customized template in the “Make Movie Manager” that exactly matches the capture settings.

Be sure and get a money-back guarantee on whatever you buy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]