FORUMS: list search recent posts

Somewhat Off Topic--Standalone Recorders?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jaspenn
Somewhat Off Topic--Standalone Recorders?
on Jul 25, 2002 at 9:50:22 pm

I apologize for being off topic, but I'm trying to gather information on standalone, desk top DVD recorders. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who is using them or has experience with them. I am particularly interested in standalones for a video transfer business. Input is appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Somewhat Off Topic--Standalone Recorders?
on Jul 25, 2002 at 11:56:54 pm

This one is easy - the Philips DVDR985, Heres what I wrote about it in my DV expo report:

Phillips DVDR985 (In Stock! $999.95)
This is the first stand alone DVD recorder that we feel delivers the features our customers want most. It's basically a replacement for the VCR. You can record from DV or analog and it's even got a built in tuner like your VCR for timeshifting. What I really like best about this unit is that you don't have to finalize your DVDs and you can record over the disk without having to erase it first. This unit supports the DVD+RW and +R formats.
For serious DVD production you are still going to be much better off with a computer based DVD burner and authroing software. But if all you are looking to do is get your video onto a DVD that can play on most folks home DVD players, this is an excellent, affordable, easy to use solution. At under $1,000 I think a lot of us are be going to saying "goodbuy" to our old VCRs and replacing them with DVD recorders. It's just a matter of time.

Gary
Videoguys.com

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
Philips vs. Pioneer
on Aug 1, 2002 at 6:13:37 pm

How does the Philips you mention compare with the Pioneer PRV-9000?
The 9000 is about $700 more, but why?
I was set to buy the 9000 for about $1650, then I see in the Best Buy ad the last couple weeks, the Philips unit you mention for only $999.
Trying to decide here.
Thanks for any input, AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Philips vs. Pioneer
on Aug 1, 2002 at 6:23:45 pm

While we recommend DVD-R & -RW for authoring, I think the Pnilips Standalone recorder is the best around. The price is great. The big features that make it my choice are:

1) No need to finalize. Just hit record, eject when done. just like a VCR

2) You can do rudimentary editing and authoring with it

3) It is the closest thing to a disk based VCR I have seen to date

We have them in stock for $999.95 Mention this post and we'll give you an extra 2 DVD+r and 2 DVD+RW disks.

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]