FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere 6.0

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chantalnicole
Premiere 6.0
on Jul 23, 2002 at 8:17:05 pm

I have a question. I'm new to this video editing stuff. I've tried a Dazzle product and Movie Shaker, that's about it. I figured everything out on those two in no time (or at least I think I did) and found that wasn't enough for me, I would be bored with it. So I got Premiere 6.0 - I was told this was THE ONE to get. So if it's so good, and quite new, why does it not have the MPEG file format for DVD burning? I've figured out how to get it into MPEG1 format so that "DVDit" would accept it - I went to "export to the Web" and chose MPEG1 format. DVDit accepted this file, but I haven't actually completed the process of burning it. (I'm just assuming it will work if DVDit accepted it). Anyways, everyone else seems to be having the same problem with not getting Premiere files into MPEG files. Am I wrong to think that the way I did it would work?

Also, after saving my project and viewing it in DVDit, there was a scene that was a little distorted. I have a Sony Vaio, P4,2 gig, 512 megs of ram, 80 gig hard drive, w/ DVD burner, and firewire capture. I have a Sony TRV25 digital camcorder and brought in my footage directly off my camcorder to my PC via firewire. What am I doing wrong that my footage is not exporting perfectly?

Any help and info much appreciated.

Chantal

Return to posts index

Ted Jan
Re: Premiere 6.0
on Jul 23, 2002 at 8:29:21 pm

Hmmm....why are you exporting out Mpeg1 for DVDit? Mpeg2 is what you are suppose to use when making DVDs. Premiere doesn't export Mpeg2. You have to save the file as a AVI and then use a Mpeg Encoder such as TMPGENC to create the Mpeg2 file. Cinecraft makes a plugin for Premiere that will allow you to export Mpeg2 straight from Premiere. Also the newest version of Premiere (version 6.5) which is due out in about 30 days will support Mpeg2.

MPEG1 quality is about equal to a VHS tape. So if you are using a digital camcorder, than you will probably notice that the quality isn't that sharp or good as what you see originally right off of the camcorder.

Return to posts index

Chantalnicole
on Jul 23, 2002 at 8:54:28 pm

I'm at work right now so I don't have anything right in front of me, but if you go to File>Export>Export to the Web, it gives you different file formats that you can export (if you click on the top box- it doesn't have a drill down arrow, you just have to click it). I exported it as an MPEG(1 or 2)sorry, I can't remember, I'll have to check when I get home. But when I dragged it into DVDit, it accepted it, but like I said, I only viewed it on DVDit, I haven't actually burnt it yet. I'll have to try it a little later.

Thanks for your info
Chantal

Return to posts index

Ted Jan
on Jul 24, 2002 at 5:02:50 am

Sorry...I probably should be more clear. If you are going to make a DVD, you really should be making Mpeg2 files instead of Mpeg1. The quality of your Mpeg1 files that you drag into DVDit will never be the same quality as your original source files. I'm not saying that you can't insert in Mpeg1 files into DVDit. I'm saying that the quality of your video will be the same as a VHS tape if you do so and it works.

Premiere as of version 6.02 doesn't support export of Mpeg2 files unless you use a plugin like Cinecraft Mpeg Encoder. If it did, then Adobe wouldn't make such a big deal about the latest version that is due to hit the stores in 30 days which has it's own Mpeg Encoder builtin. I'm using version 6.02 right now and if I want to make a Mpeg2 file, I need to export it out using my Cinecraft plugin.

Return to posts index

chantal28
on Jul 24, 2002 at 7:01:56 pm

thanks for the info. Right now, I'm trying to import my premiere avi file into MovieShaker (it exports as MPEG2 files), and save it as an MPEG2 in MovieShaker, then I can burn it. Am I right on this?

Thanks
Chantal

Return to posts index

SCO
by
on Jul 25, 2002 at 10:10:38 pm

You dont have to get it to MPEG2 prior to DVDit. DVDit encodes AVI's and other kinds of files to MPEG2 and burns the DVD all in one process. If you started with DV from a camcorder, then edited it in Premiere, it is better to save it in the same Camera codec( if it is supported by DVDit like my Canapus Raptor avi flies are) because you have no losses that way to the file you use in DVDit. You can save it back to the camera tape also for a completely lossless editing process. However to save a step, as posted earlier this thread, you can save to MPEG2 from the premiere timeline if you have a separately purchased plug in (see ligos.com). I am going to wait for the adobe premiere6.5 version which will allow the encode to mpeg2 directly from the timeline as a standard capability of the software. The upgrade cost to 6.5 is I think 149.00 apparently from any old version of premiere(I'm not sure about this).

Return to posts index

SCO
by
on Jul 25, 2002 at 10:22:43 pm

I just reread your original post, and see you bring in video through a firewire card. Check if Windows media player will open and play one of the avi clips that comes in directly from the camera to the hard disk(I'm 99.99% sure it will). If so, DVDit says it can accept that file. Do all your editing and resaving of the video in that same file format(CODEC). Double check that your resolution at all phases is 720x480.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]