FORUMS: list search recent posts

Three Newbie Questions

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Red
Three Newbie Questions
by
on Jul 19, 2002 at 12:22:06 pm

I am new to video editing (and production) but I have been putting together autoload/run picture/music cds for my family for sometime and just recently decided to take the leap to actual video editing.

I am running a Sony viao (2.2mhz no gigi-port instead added a dv500 dvd card) Using Premier 6 as my video editor currently and so far I am pleased with everything except my actual tape!!!! HELP!!!!

Question 1
After filming with a Sony 320 in a reception room, I notice that the lighting was AWFUL!
Can anyone recommend lighting solutions?
My Sony Digital Camcorder has a place for an external something (could be light, could be mic, but not both!)

Question 2
After filming with a Sony 320 in a reception room, I notice that the sound was AWFUL! Lots of rumble mumble!
Can anyone recommend external mics? I am thinking wireless would be nice, but would like to be able to mic 2-4 people. Is that possible?
Again, my Sony Digital Camcorder has a place for an external something (could be light, could be mic, but not both!)

Question 3
Having created a couple of family music/picture videos, I have noticed some quality loss when transferring them to VCR tape (haven't yet worked with the DVD part).
My VCR is a cheapy so that is understandable. I am looking into purchasing a better VCR and I am looking for one that has a firewire connection. Do they make these? My brother-in-law suggested that he thought Sony made a model.

Thank you!
Red

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Three Newbie Questions
on Jul 19, 2002 at 3:44:20 pm

I have two Sony Digital8 camcorders and haven't noticed any lighting problems with either. However, you might have set the program mode to a setting, like sports, which raises the effective shutter speed. The iris just can't open wide enough indoors under dim lighting to make up for it. I've been very impressed with the Sony's ability to capture video under low light conditions. I even was able to tape the northern lights, while in Wisconsin, when they were barely visible to the naked eye, and I love the InfoLithium batteries. I once videotaped all day at Disneyland without even using half of my 8 hour battery's capacity.

For audio, I usually use the Sony ECM-HS1 zoom/shotgun mike. It's a big improvement over the built-in mike.

You will notice some quality loss when transferring to VHS tape, because you're taking 500 line resolution digital video and copying it to 220 line resolution analog VHS video. That's just the best that VHS can do. In order to retain your video quality, you'll need a higher resolution medium, like S-VHS or DVD. You can spend about $1000 and get a digital video recorder, DVR, or build a computer-based DVD authoring system for a lot more money. I just spent $2500 upgrading mine to a realtime Matrox RT.X100, and I already had the large displays, video monitor, large hard drives, and DVD burner.

The computer solution will be able to encode 2 hours of video onto a DVDR. The DVR solution will be able to encode 1 hour of similar quality video onto a single DVDR. The DVR has to transcode the video and audio on the fly, using a constant bitrate (CBR) solution. The computer can take its time, transcoding using a variable bitrate (VBR) solution, devoting more bits to your video where it's needed. Commercial DVD's use very sophisticated VBR encoding techniques, taking weeks to individually encode each scene. I've been very happy with my computer based VBR DVD's, and so have my customers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]