He try to use is normal IEEE 1394 card to capture
Video but sometime when he capture to 500~600 frame
The video will go terrible frame drop

Timothy

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Problem with Normal IEEE 1394 Capturing
on Jun 26, 2003 at 1:46:40 am

I would assume that your friend does not have a dedicated A/V drive on his secondary IDE channel. If you try to capture to the boot drive, you will drop frames. That's because Windows takes priority over everything. When Windows wants to talk to the boot drive, it just takes over, causing dropped frames. Your PC can talk simultaneously to IDE drives on different IDE channels. It can't, if they're on the same channel (and cable).

Return to posts index

timothychew
on Jun 26, 2003 at 2:00:19 am

But I use IDE promise Raid IDE drive

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 26, 2003 at 5:30:04 am

That's the other potential problem. Most people that report problems with DV capture are trying to use RAID controllers. I personally have used the Promise RAID controller with my old RT2000 on Win98SE. At the time, I had to use a RAID in order to get large enough storage to do DV capture. Disk drives just weren't very large. Speedwise, I didn't need a RAID, as a single DV stream requires 3.6 MB/sec continuous throughput, and most 7200 rpm ATA66 drives can sustain a minimum of 27.

When I upgraded to Win2K, I couldn't get the Promise card to work properly anymore no matter what I tried. As ATA hard drives had grown to 80 GB, I no longer needed a RAID and switched to using a single ATA drive.

When I next upgraded to an RT.X100 and WinXP, I just configured my system per Matrox's recommendations and use individual ATA drives. It works fine with no dropped frames. Others that have tried this board with RAID controllers have reported lots of problems with PCI bus contention.

Try it without the Promise RAID controller and see what happens. No matter what. You cannot use your boot drive, IDE or RAID, as your A/V drive. Windows will always take priority and cause you to drop frames.

Return to posts index

timothychew
on Jun 26, 2003 at 6:29:13 am

I also discover that Promise have lots of problem
My 6 editing system DV rex and DV storm encounter
the same problem . Raid problem
but raid do speed up hardrive

And about my IEEE 1394 normal Card
I try to use drive E My 3 partiton in my system drive
to capture it is OK now
Do u mean that Raid cannot be uSE ( It seem confuse )!

but after I capture it will not frame drop any more
but it stop at 9140 frame ( is it a limit set for avi capture )
in premier or any place to set

Timothy

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 27, 2003 at 2:30:05 am

A partition on your system drive has the same problem as using the system drive for capture. (Actually it's slightly worse, as accessing a partitioned drive is slower than writing to a single-partition drive.) You're still using the same physical hard drive, and Windows always wins. Your video capture drive has to be dedicated and should not be partitioned.

I strongly recommend using Windows XP and NTFS drive formatting. FAT32 formatting imposes a 2 GB file size limitation on most files. On some, it's 4 GB. As one hour of DV uses 13 GB, FAT32 causes real problems for video editing and DVD authoring. A 2 GB DV file is about 9 minutes long (about 16000 frames). If your capture card is multiplexing the audio and video into a single file, then you get less time and fewer frames before hitting the 2 GB limit.

A RAID controller speeds up the hard drive I/O rate, but at a price. The price is PCI bus contention and cpu cycles. It's difficult to get everything balanced. Since you don't need the extra I/O rate that a RAID provides to do DV editing, why bother. Just get a large dedicated 7200 rpm ATA100 drive and install it on your motherboard's secondary IDE port. If your motherboard doesn't specifically state that it supports hard drives larger than 137 GB, stick with a 120 GB or smaller drive.

Return to posts index

timothychew
on Jun 27, 2003 at 9:47:20 am

do u mean that my premier capture stop at 9140 frame
is a limit ..

how to improve the capture time
is it format my HD to NTFS

you help me a lot
Timothy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>