FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewire Cards

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
curbdawg
Firewire Cards
on Jun 12, 2003 at 8:18:01 pm

I wanted to know if I can use a standard $30 firewire card to capture my video into programs like premiere, or other, or if I have to get a DV capture card designed for video capture. I know programs like AVID Express are all software based, so you only need the cheap firewire cards to get the job done. I just need to digitize the video so that I can then encode it for DVD. I won't be doing any editing so RT playback is not necessary.
Also, with the cheap firewire card, can I take the video in uncompressed? I know that DV is already under compression as soon as it leaves the camera, but I don't want to put any compression on it as it gets digitized. I'm trying to get the highest quality video possible into the computer before the encoding.

Thanks!
Dawg

Return to posts index

miike
Re: Firewire Cards
on Jun 13, 2003 at 1:59:51 am

for what you are trying to do i think just a cheap firewire card will do the job
the expensive capture cards are good for real time and all that, but dont make that much difference for straight capturing IMO

when getting a firewire card i have read that its bect to get one that will be compatible(OHCI or something like that) but i just use my Mobo's firewire and it gets the job done

from what i understand getting uncompressed video from a miniDV tape is impossible
when the video is recorded it is compressed at 5:1 and once this is done it, its done

this is still very good quality and should not look digitized at all
if using premiere just capture as an AVI in the size that your after

to put on a dvd you will have to compress it somewhat to mpeg2(i think)
but i havent got a dvd burner so im not exactly sure

the video guys site has alot of good info on it so give it a read and it will explain all about the firewire etc

mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]