FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS Movies to DVD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Fred
VHS Movies to DVD
on Feb 1, 2005 at 10:38:53 pm

I have several hundred vhs commercial movies. How do I go about converting them to dvd's. Sone of them have a copyguard which won't allow the conversion to take pplace.'Thanx/JP

Return to posts index

tautau
Depends how much control you need
on Apr 2, 2005 at 6:50:43 pm

It really depends how much control you want. If you want to just quickly archive the video it would be wise to invest in one of the numerous realtime mpeg2 encoder cards. The downside is that its very difficult to edit the output without a loss in quality. You just capture the video through the card and then use a commercial dvd authoring program to burn it.

The other method, which I prefer but takes far longer, is to work through DV format.

You need to buy a Canopus ADVC 50 and fit it into a spare PCI slot. Next connect your vcr output to the ADVC input and start a capture session in either Virtualdub or Premiere. Capture the video you want and save it as a file to your (hopefully large) HD. You'll end up with a 10+ GB DV file containing your video.

Next, open the file in virtualdub and run whatever filters you need - like a subtitling filter for example. Save the file as DV again. Open the file in TempGenc and encode to mpeg2.

Finally, burn with a commercial DVD authoring program.

The second method is painstakingly slow, but produces the best quality video possible from the source. It's so slow because of all the encodings. Even a modern fast computer can take 6 hours or more to encode an hour and a half of video. The realtime capture card does away with this because the encoding to mpeg2 happens in the hardware layer. It's up to you at the end of the day.

BTW: The ADVC has the nice feature of bypassing Macrovision protection, so you'll be able to copy the copyprotected vhs using it.

Return to posts index

VideoFlyer
Sima GoDVD
on Apr 3, 2005 at 12:03:36 am

You could also play your movie from a VCR then connect the Sima GoDVD and have that go to a stand alone DVD burner such as what I have a Pioneer PVR 7000(PVR = Personal Video Recorder). There are lots of stand alone DVD burners on the maket by Panasonic, Pioneer, Phillips for less than $500. Play the movie in the VCR at the same time burn a DVD and the Sima will bypass the MacroVision.

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
Re: VHS Movies to DVD
on Jun 23, 2005 at 6:17:15 pm

Or you could actually buy the real DVDs of the movie. Save yourself a ton of time and effort.

Return to posts index

videouser
on Jul 30, 2005 at 9:46:31 pm

Commercial VHS tapes have the tabs on the front of the tabs pulled off; you need to put tape preferrable masking tape across the square hole where the tab use to be and you should be able to copy it (remember for your own use; illegal to sell)

Return to posts index

JOEVIKINGS
on Aug 17, 2005 at 8:43:14 pm

QTofW: Or you could actually buy the real DVDs of the movie. Save yourself a ton of time and effort.

LOL That had me rolling

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]