FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD-R DL and support for it

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
obioneballi
DVD-R DL and support for it
on Jan 13, 2005 at 3:11:13 pm

"Sony releases DVD+DL burner for 8.5GB of data on a single sided DVD - BRILLIANT!" (to be read like those Guiness commercials)

Okay, fantastic... but they also developed DVD Architect 2.0... and hey, it doesn't matter that you have a DL burner: It doesn't support it.

I suppose this is probably a question(s) for one of the Video Guys, because I've been scouring the 'net for any signs of either

a: a -R DL disc/burner release date, because I frankly don't like +ANYTHING

b: any sign that there will be software support for DL discs in general.

c: a really good recipe for pizza crust that tastes and feels like Bertucci's. (maybe this one isn't for you)

I burn DVD's for a living now, and I've had people ask me about why I use one disc per hour (up to 1hr 20 mins) of video... and why I don't use the new DL technology.

I've been using DVDA v2.0 for some time now, and I'm really quite pleased with it. If they could iron out the flakey bits like the subtitles, and add an option to load PC content, it would be the ultimate software - sort of like Encore DVD, only without all the Adobe blah blah. Ya, that was a dis. :)

So, any idea on -R DL burners, integration into current or new release software?

Return to posts index

WTS
Re: DVD-R DL and support for it
by
on Jan 20, 2005 at 10:09:09 pm

I was one of the first to get on the dvd burning bandwagon with the advent of Pioneer's AO3. I fortunately steered clear of HP's first burner for + media, which was a real clunker. However, the new +DL media doesn't fit into that category. I still burn -R media for single sided projects, but have done several +DL projects and have been very pleased. I think you can do DL projects with DVD-A 2, but in an indirect fashion. You would output your project to your video_ts and audio_ts folders and use them in either Nero or RecordNow (I've done all my burns with RecordNow). The layer switch is set by the burning app, and each layer needs to be filled (the burning app should put padding in to fill if your content doesn't). The -DL burner that everyone seems to be waiting for is the Pioneer AO9. If you read the fine print, it states that it is most likely going to support -DL media, but will require a firmware update. My understanding is it will not right out of the box (with expected ship dates in February). I got my Pioneer AO8 for $75 (hec, a couple of 3 packs of the media cost more). It's also a very fast single sided burner to boot.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]