FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on DVD-burning problems

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jerutley
Need advice on DVD-burning problems
on Jan 8, 2005 at 8:20:18 am

OK, this is going to be a bit winded, but I want to provide as much information as I can right off the bat. I've been having difficulties making successful DVD burns with my DVD drive, and I'm about at my wits end.

Hardware: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ system, running Windows XP Pro SP2
IO/Magic DVD +/- R/RW CDR/RW combo drive, identifies as model number IDE1004

Software: DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15
Nero 6.3.1.25 (also tried Roxio 6)

For quite some time after I purchased this drive, I only used it for burning CDRoms, never used the DVD capabilities at all. It works terriffic as a CD-Burner, never had one coaster come out of the drive in the entire time I've had it. However, DVD's are another story. At first, I used DVD Shrink to pull just the main movie of one of my DVD's, ripping it to hard drive, then using Roxio to burn
to a DVD-R disk (Used both FujiFilm and TDK brands of DVD-R disks). When playing back, playback would be terribly pixelated, both on the computer drive, as well as a stand-alone DVD player. So, I gave up for a while, but after asking a few friends who have had good luck about their experiences, decided to try again using DVD+R media instead. Purchased a 10-pack of Maxell DVD+R 8x disks, upgraded the firmware in my burner to support the new 8x disks. I was able to get one successful burn, however, all subsequent attempts have met with the same issues - the image gets pixelation and eventually locks up at some point in the movie. I'm almost beginning to wonder if the drive itself isn't at fault.

Anyone got any ideas on further things I can try?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

obioneballi
Re: Need advice on DVD-burning problems
on Jan 8, 2005 at 1:59:57 pm

Well, a DVD-R or DVD+R disk is 4.7GB of data, call it less than 4.5GB when you're done with overhead. A full feature length DVD, with or without extras (which will make a difference) is usually minimum of 2 hours. What's more is depending on what extras/audio you try and copy over, you're talking about a Dual Layer (the commercial DVD) 9.4GB disc trying to squeeze onto a DVD-R disc that's half the size. This is probably where all your artifacting is coming in. It's not the burning software, it's the compression.

Try backing up ONLY the movie itself. No extras, no menus, no titles - nothing but the main movie and audio that goes with it (usually an English AC3 file)... I've done one myself, just to see how it would work - Back to the Future. It recompressed to about 85-90% of original quality, and was excellent (no digital artifacts)...

Return to posts index

jerutley
on Jan 9, 2005 at 6:02:38 am

This is exactly what I do - I use DVD-Shrink's reauthoring mode, pull the main movie out, and strip all subtitles, and all but one audio stream. It gets the size down to in most cases, below the 4GB mark.

What I experience is almost like when you have digital or sattelite cable, when the picture has a lot of squares in it at first, then it becomes clear - that's what my movies do always at some point. And sometimes, they'll even become worse and completely stop playing.

Return to posts index

bson
by
on Mar 9, 2005 at 3:30:41 am

Some things to try are:
1)Once the DVD is ripped to the Video TS Folder. Try playing the movie from there. If it plays fine with no "pixelation, then you know its not the source or the ripping process. This implies is related to the burn process.
2)Try degragging.
Try those things and then we cant take it from there

Return to posts index

JPB
by
on May 19, 2005 at 2:41:08 pm

It may be that your DVD playing devices do not have progressive scan capabilities. This can cause pixilation problems with most DVDs. Try your burned disc an someone else's DVD player to see if you can reproduce the problem.

My problem seems to be burning DL DVDs.
My System: PIII 800 w/512Mb RAM WIN2K

Should it take 4 DAYS to burn a DL DVD? :?
It's not locked up and nothing else is running.
Using Roxio Media Creator 7.5.
Getting Adobe Video Editing Suite 2.6.

Cheers :x :?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]