FORUMS: list search recent posts

-R/RW or +R/RW, What's the Dif?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
knifebox
-R/RW or +R/RW, What's the Dif?
on Nov 30, 2004 at 9:36:32 pm

Brand new to burning DVD's. Is there a particular advantage to either -R -RW or +R +RW? If so, what is it?
Also, has anyone ever had any luck burning VCD's? I've tried and get awful results, worse than bad VHS.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: -R/RW or +R/RW, What's the Dif?
on Dec 1, 2004 at 2:03:58 am

Technically, the primary difference between -R and +R media is the wobble frequency. The tracks on a DVD actually aren't linear. They wobble from side to side to help the laser keep on track. +R media uses a higher frequency than -R, which is supposed to make it easier for the laser to read it.

Personally, I've found that -R media seems to be slightly more compatible with different drives than +R. On newer drives, it doesn't seem to matter.

Encoding seems to have more of an effect than the type of media. I've found players that could read constant bitrate (CBR) encoded DVDR's that would freeze and skip on variable bitrate (VBR) discs.

The bitrate of VCD's is so low that any motion shows visible blockiness, much worse than EP VHS.

Return to posts index

knifebox
Re: -R/RW or +R/RW, What's the Dif?
on Dec 1, 2004 at 6:55:08 pm

Thanks for the posting. You actually addressed exactly what I was curious about, compatibility.

You also confirmed what I have seen on my VCDs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]