FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ulead Movie Factory-"not enough disc space&qu

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
captaincrunch
Ulead Movie Factory-"not enough disc space&qu
on Oct 6, 2004 at 8:54:30 pm

Using ulead movie factory 2 (with MSPro7)

have 1:58 of videos

Says will need 4.2 G of space

DVD's have 4.7G available

when burning it says will need 4.2G of 4.4G available.

why is it saying only 4.4G instead of 4.7?

AND it goes through the entire process but at the very end tells me that there isn't enough disc space, to insert another disc?

I thought you could get a 2 hr movie on a DVD . . .

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Ulead Movie Factory-"not enough disc spac
on Oct 7, 2004 at 1:10:42 am

A disk can hold 4.7 billion bytes, which is 4.37 gigabytes. To get two hours on a disk you need to lower the video bit rate. I think 5000kbs/sec with Mpeg or AC-3 audio is about right.

Are you doing your encoding in MSP7 or in MF-2 and what are your output settings? Is MF-2 re-encoding your video? What are your audio input and output settings? Of course, 4.2GB should fit on a 4.37GB disk with room to spare.

I no longer have MSP-7 and MF-2 installed, so I cannot try to recreate your problem.

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Oct 8, 2004 at 1:00:53 pm

I don't know what encoding I'm doing, or even what that is. I'm not real smart (but I have a good time!). In MSP7 I simply clicked export; disc authoring. MF-2 came up and I followed it through. (I have found out how to make menus!).

It does say "converting videos" and something about "multiplexing", I think. I've created .avi files of the finished product and am making the DVD from them. I don't know if you can make a DVD from the timeline or not?

Lower my video bit rate . . . I'll look around for that. Would it be in the editing software when I create the .avi? or in MF-2 when I make the DVD? I'll dig around and see what I can see . . .

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 13, 2004 at 10:57:49 am

Crunch,

I tried to duplicate your error and I found the problem.

Ulead's DVD creation software does not tell you how big the complete DVD package will be.

The software shows the upper limit of storage on a DVD to be 4.7 GB.

Using your example, I created a 94 min video and using Ulead's product selected Good Quality (6000 kbps, 90 min per DVD). Movie Factory showed that would require 4.1 GB, well within the 4.7GB limit shown on the bar graph. On the Finish page, it would show that I required 4.1 GB and my blank DVD would hold 4.4 GB. Less than the 4.7 Max but still it looked like my DVD would fit.

The software would then convert the files and stop with the error that there was not enough room to create a DVD. The disc was not written to.

I directed the output to a file instead and checked the size. It was 4.65GB, significantly more than my 4.4 GB disc could hold and more than the 4.1 estimate from Movie Factory.

So I changed the settings until the DVD fit. That turned out to be when the estimate was 3.8. The actual resulting file was 4.35GB.

The settings I used: Quality-50; Video-Variable Data Rate, 5500 kpbs; LPCM Audio. I arrived at these numbers through trial and error with my 94 minute video, your results may vary.

As for how to change the settings: In the lower left side of the screen are two icons. Click the far left icon. Go to Disc Template Manager. Create a New Template, Give it an appropriate name, click on the General tab and make sure it is set at Standard 720x480. Go to the Compression tab and set the variables as you see fit. Quality 0-50, Video Data Rate Constant vs Variable and then a resulting rate. Also select an appropriate Audio format and bit rate if required.

Click on Close.

Now click on the second icon (the one with a checkmark). Click on change MPEG settings, and select your newly created template.

Note: you can also skip the template settings and directly input your choices from the Change MPEG settings. Just click on customize and make the same choices. If you create a template, you can use it with other projects without having to recreate those numbers...

I hope this helps.

D

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Oct 13, 2004 at 12:41:10 pm

Thanks man, you're the best!

Will changing the settings create noticable quality changes in the playback?

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 13, 2004 at 1:28:34 pm

Crunch,

If you start with an .avi file and then let Movie Factory do the transcode to MPEG, you will probably not notice a significant loss in quality if you have a lot of stationary shots. But you will have to trust your eyes.

When I used Movie Factory to transcode MPEG to a different bit rate MPEG, I noticed significant artifacts and noise in the video. So I recommend you transcode only once: either in Movie Factory or in MSP.

When adjusting your bit rate, shoot for a 3.8 GB file size in Movie Factory and that should get you in the right ball park for your finished 1:58 video.

Good Luck and I hope this works for you.

D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]