DVD Blanks vs Burning Software

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rmu2
DVD Blanks vs Burning Software
by
on Aug 3, 2004 at 11:08:10 am

Hi all,

I have burned DVD-r of two different manufacturers using NERO. Sony and Staples.They all work in my DVD player. I have the very cheap Apex. However I discovered that on my parents Panasonic that some of the Staples DVDs dont play at all, or if they do play they stop every few seconds and place colored squares on the screen.

I was woondering if it is because the Staples DVDs are crap, or is it the NERO Vision software.

Please Help IF You CAn.
rmu2

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: DVD Blanks vs Burning Software
on Aug 4, 2004 at 2:05:02 am

Go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ and look up the particular model of DVD player and see what others have experienced with that DVD player. However, my Sony player will play discs that my Panasonic won't.

My personal experience is that cheap DVD media will work in about half as many players as top-rated media. I used to use Maxell exclusively, but switched after buying a DVD printer. I currently use Ritek media, as it allows me to print labeling directly on the disc, and has tested to be very reliable.

One other factor is labeling. The DVD manufacturers say to NEVER apply a label to a DVD recordable. Even if the DVD plays now, it eventually will become unbalanced enough to not play in the future.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Aug 5, 2004 at 1:44:46 pm

Perfect advice dvdrhelp.com is the place I go and send folks to for this kind of info.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

krogers
on Oct 11, 2005 at 2:13:53 am

If what you burn on DVD's is of any value to you stay away from the cheap and off brand DVD's.........For all the difference there is in price I wouldn't even consider the cheap and off brand crap.........

Return to posts index

John Q
on Oct 12, 2005 at 2:36:11 am

1. Never put a peel and stick label on a DVD. They cause imbalance on some players and will eventually cause failure on most others as the adhesive loosens.

2. Keep your maximum video bitrate at 7 Mb/sec. A higher bitrate will run too close to the DVD Spec maximum combined video and audio bitrate of 9.8 Mb/sec.

3. Some dvd players don't like variable bitrate (VBR) encoded DVD+-R media. Try encoding as constant bitrate (CBR) and see what happens.

4. I haven't found any single brand of media that will play on all players. Ironically, I have a friend whose player will only play the "cheap" DVD-R media and chokes on the expensive brands.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]