FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed-Captioning & Language Tracks

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McQueen
Closed-Captioning & Language Tracks
on Mar 27, 2004 at 7:03:24 pm

I have created several DVCAM video edits - 5 in All, and I want to create a DVD of these edits with the following options: closed-captioning and English and a French langauge tracks. I am looking for authoring technology that is affordable for both PC and MAC environments.

Any leads or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for the collective wisdom.

Cheers,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

WTS
Re: Closed-Captioning & Language Tracks
by
on May 6, 2004 at 1:50:32 am

There are many apps on the PC side of things that will allow for more than one audio track--ReelDVD, Adobe Encore, Ulead's DVDWS 2.0 are a few. However, they don't support caption 21. You need to get into some pretty expensive apps to offer that (ie thousands). DVD Studio Pro 3.0 (due this summer) for $499 does support line 21 for closed captioning, and everything else you listed (and then some). If you have a Mac as an option, then I would go with Studio Pro.

Jim

Return to posts index

Steve Gooderham
on May 28, 2004 at 10:36:15 pm

Bill,

I am looking at exactly the same requirement for CC21. The Ulead DVD workshop 2 claims to support closed captioning, but when I contacted their technical support they told me it doesn't. I sent them the extract from their web site, but so far have not had a response.

Please let me know if you have any success, and I will do likewise. If you like you can email me at snwg01@aol.com.

Lets stay in touch

Steve G

Return to posts index

WTS
by
on May 31, 2004 at 8:48:59 pm

Maybe you could post the info stating that DVDWS 2 supports line 21--I can't find it anywhere.

Jim

Return to posts index

unisay
on Jun 1, 2004 at 6:32:20 pm

Hi Bill,
Hope I can help out. Closed captioning is not really present in DVD. It is a tape/broadcast idiom. What I think you are looking for are called subtitles in DVD parlance. Many DVD authoring apps can handle up to 32 subtitle tracks. These can be turned on and off like closed captions on the TV, but also the user can choose the language desired (from what is available on the DVD). Our company (sorry for the plug) http://www.unisay.com offer a FREE application called Subtitler that not only handles DVD subtitles, but also closed caption files. We also have a free AudioSuite plugin for ProTools/Avid users. We charge a per use fee that is very affordable. We've also incorporated translation into the application. We have solutions for DVD as well as tape and NLE end uses. Email me and I can set you up with a trial account so you can get your job done and see if UniSay Subtitler will work for your future projects.

Return to posts index

WTS
by
on Jun 3, 2004 at 4:52:59 am

Tony,

Your comments aren't entirely true. Some authoring apps allude to closed captioning, but are indeed just referring to the use of subtitles to display the text for hearing impaired. For NTSC video/discs, there is the ability to use closed caption files (typically .cc nad .scc file types) that can only be displayed with tv's or monitors with the appropriate decoder. Spruce's Maestro, Sonic's Scenarist, and Apple's DVD Studio Pro are examples of apps that allow for true import of CC type files. Most of the other are just using subtitles to create the same effect.

Jim

Return to posts index

unisay
on Jun 3, 2004 at 10:54:12 pm

Hi jim,
I think we are stuck on semantics a bit. I was referring to the video elementary stream in MPEG2. The choice comes down to whether you want the TV to decode captions or the DVD player to display subtitles. Another consideration is the number of languages available - CC has basically 2 (not all TVs recognize CC3/4 stream) while subtitles can have 32 different tracks.

As far as Apple DVD studio Pro goes, DVD Studio Pro may not accept closed caption files with the filename extension ".cc".

Page 519 of the DVD Studio Pro User's Manual mistakenly states, "DVD Studio Pro supports closed caption files in the ".cc" and ".scc" formats".

To use closed caption files in DVD Studio Pro, change the filename extension from ".cc" to ".scc".

We also export to .scc files, so for those authoring systems that take advantage of the CC stream, we can accomodate as well.

Return to posts index

WTS
by
on Jun 4, 2004 at 4:39:56 am

My manual has it on page 557, but I have DVD Studio Pro 3 (maybe version 2 has it on 519?). I don't know if version 3 has an issue with the filename extension, just got the app and haven't tried it yet (if ever).

I was just trying to clarify that there is a difference between subtitles and CC, and I think we're both on the same page. If you want a viewer to see the text on a computer and a TV screen, then I think it would be best to offer it via subtitles, since most computers don't have a CC decoder. The content on CC is usually a bit different (voices, sounds, sound fx, etc) than what you see with subtitles, but you are certainly more experienced in this arena. Those who rely on CC have a mindset as to how these sorts of things are going to be displayed. You can have a video play so that a non-hearing impaired viewer won't see the text, because they won't have a decoder turned on, but a hearing impaired viewer watching the same stream could see text just by having a decoder on. If you are going to do it with subtitles, you are either going to have the text on by default (and have the viewer shut it off), or you are going to have to direct the viewer to turn it on. It's a different process, but doable. Certainly with either CC or subtitles, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I guess it would depend on who the audience is, and what your authoring app will allow you to do.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]