FORUMS: list search recent posts

Double-Layered DVD's & Burners

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shanejorgenson
Double-Layered DVD's & Burners
on Feb 25, 2004 at 12:23:51 am

From what I understand, most movies or games that use DVD's as their media, usually store more than 4.7gb because they are using double-layered discs.
eg. If I put a DVD into my DVD-RW, I can go to "My Computer" in WindowsXP and see how much of the disc is being used by displaying the details of the DVD drive. In this case the DVD was 7.0gb.

After doing a little bit of research I learned about double-layered discs (you will see a DVD movie pause very breifly as it switches between layers) and how they work. Are there DVD writers that are capable of writing to double-layered discs? There are programs that can manage those 2 layers into 2 single-layered DVD's but I want to be able to write doubled-layered discs. Any ideas?

shanE

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Double-Layered DVD's & Burners
on Feb 25, 2004 at 8:46:39 pm

Here is what I had to say about Dula Layered DVD burning in our Top 10 products of 2003 article http://www.videoguys.com/2003best.htm

Dual-Layer Recordable DVD
Pioneer and several other DVD burner vendors announced planned support for this new technology. This will allow you to double the amount of content you can put on a single DVD from 4.7GB to 9.4GB. You do not have to "flip" the DVD to record on the second layer, and they will be able to be played on your home theatre DVD plaer. New laser technologies will allow the burner to write through the top layer onto the second layer below. Pretty amazing if you ask me. Unfortuantely, like everything else with DVD we've got competing formats involved. I don't think we'll see any dual-layer DVD burners released before 2005.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

shanejorgenson
on Feb 25, 2004 at 9:21:15 pm

Even though it's too bad that the technology isn't there yet, at least I can now stop my redundant search for a dual layer burner. Thanks Gary...

...but also, if you are able to burn double-layered DVD's with these burners, theoretically you should be able to take an ISO of a DVD and write that ISO to a double-layered DVD, even with the copy protections...depending of the format of course...

s

Return to posts index

dorkn
on Feb 25, 2004 at 10:37:49 pm

I read this on a website.. Hmmm SONY may get a head start???

French website http://www.clubic.com has posted information about the upcoming dual layer recorder by Sony, the DRU-700. Sony has chosen to support the Philips proposal for dual layer ercording (DVD+R9) allowing storing of up to 8.5GB of data on a blank DVD.
The DRU-700A will record on DVD+R9 at 2.4x. Single layer DVD+R will be burned at 8x and DVD+RW at 4x. In the CD part, the drive will be a 40x/24x/40x.

Available by May for 199 Euros, the retail package will also include Nero Suite v6. An external USB 2.0 model (DRX-700UL) is also expected for 299 Euros.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]