FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Questions

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
henrysteele
Newbie Questions
on Feb 16, 2004 at 6:31:52 pm

I have a 90 minute presentation with a few menues and transitions. The "rendering" time was 4 hours. Is this normal? Is there a way to shortent the rendering time? I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9 which I've noticed people aren't to happy with. Is there a quicker rendering software or is it all in the hardware?

Thanks in advance!

Dell XPS
3GHz
2GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 5200
Two 120GB harddrives
Panasonic 4x DVD-R Drive
Windows XP

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Newbie Questions
on Feb 18, 2004 at 3:40:22 am

For now, the real answer is hardware. Realtime boards, like my Matrox RT.X100 achieve realtime video effects by combining software with hardware. About the only thinkg I have to render now is a rolling title, and there's a trick using sequences of fixed title screens rolled through the frame that works in realtime, albeit with a more complex setup. Even my transcoding edited video for DVD authoring is realtime with the X100.

Software packages may describe themselves as realtime, but that usually only means realtime preview at a reduced frame rate. The video will have to be rendered for export.

Return to posts index

skydiver41
on Feb 27, 2004 at 3:23:43 am

So John, what software package are you using with that Matrox RT.X100 capture card? If I were to buy a new Dual Xeon P4 3.06 workstation which has among other things integrated Firewire front and back, would I be able to edit realtime with let's say Adobe Premiere Pro or would I have to render? Thanks.

Blue Skies
Skydiver41

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 27, 2004 at 4:45:27 am

With a dual Xeon, you would typically be able to do realtime preview (albeit at a reduced frame rate), but would have to render prior to export. Any transition or effect would have to be rendered to get the full framerate. If you want full realtime, you need hardware at this time.

The X100 comes with Premiere, which is the only editor that has a realtime plugin that talks to the Matrox hardware. The hardware provides a realtime mpeg encoder and special effects encoder that Premiere uses in place of software.

Before you buy a new computer, decide on your NLE system, as most NLE hardware has strict compatibility requirements.

Return to posts index

skydiver41
on Feb 27, 2004 at 1:21:17 pm

Thanks John. I've already got a Twin Xeon P4 1.7 machine w/SCSI that I can build up but I'm looking for an excuse to buy a new one that has twin 3.06's or 3.2's and FireWire already on the machine. If I choose the Adobe Premiere Pro Suite of software, will the onboard FireWire on the new machine work or will I still have to install the Matrox card to get full functionality out of it? Which software package do you personally use/recommend? Thanks.

Blue Skies
Skydiver41

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Feb 27, 2004 at 3:28:04 pm

Skydiver41,

The Matrox RT.X100 is a complete integrated solution. Both hardware and software. These work TOGETHER to deliver a real-time feature set that is extremely powerful and full featured. You end up with significant features that Premeire pro and a firewire card can not deliver:

- Analog & DV I/O RTX100 allows you to capture both analog & DV footage. A good DV/AV converter will cost you over $200 bucks

- Real-time analog, DV & MPEG2 output . Without the RTX100 hardware, Premeire Pro must render for output to tape. With the RTX100 you can playback directly from the timeline for final output. Even cooler, real-time MPEG2 output makes your DVD creation 2 or 3 times FASTER!

- Real-time color correction with TV output. Color correction needs a video monitor to get the best results. The Matrox color correction tool is very easy to use and the auto white balance is a great time saver.

- Matrox real-time 3D FX and filters. Matrox Flex 3D FX and filters are the envy of the industry. They deliver very high quality with superb keyframing tools. You can preview the FX while you are working with them on your external video monitor.

- The RTX100 single pass scan and capture A fantastic tool that goaesfar beyond batch capturing. On the fly your video is broken down into clips. unwanted clips can be deleted to free up disk space.

- For AE users the WYSIWYG video output is a very nice tool.

Here is a link to my original review of the RTX100. This was before premeire pro, but I think it will give you a better understanding about what the entire package is and can do. http://www.videoguys.com/RTX100review.html

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

skydiver41
on Feb 27, 2004 at 9:30:19 pm

Thank you for the detailed info Gary. I read your review via that link that you sent me, sounds very impressive. You list the minimum system requirements as P4 1.7. My IBM Intellistation Pro M has Dual P4 1.7 Xeon's with SCSI Raid. Would this be more than just the bare minimum (I don't want to only be able to drive my Ferrari on the crowded city streets)? I need to know if I should proceed with upgrading this machine or buy a newer one. You have answered my question about onboard Firewire, I'll get the Matrox card. Also, what NLE software package do you use? Also, what is VideoRaid? Thanks.

Blue Skies
Skydiver41

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]