FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Drive vs. Internal drive in enclosue

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TheHipCat
External Drive vs. Internal drive in enclosue
on Nov 5, 2003 at 10:55:52 pm

I have recently been considering purchasing an extrnal Firewire or USB 2.0 hard drive. I have found various external drives, but I have also found external enclosures for otherwise internal drives. In other words, it converts the EIDE drive to Firewire, etc...

Are these 'adapters' worth it and are they all they're really cracked up to be? Are there compatibility issues like if I got a second one for an internal DVD burner? I just want to know if there are any unexpected problems that may occur if I go for one or more of these external cases for internal hardware.

Thanks,

Zach

Return to posts index

Dan Mumford
Re: External Drive vs. Internal drive in enclosue
on Dec 8, 2003 at 10:22:37 am

Hi Zach,

I know this is late and you may have already made your decision, but if I were you, I'd get a Promise controller card for more drives. However, if you want portability, the external firewire boxes are great. I have two ADS Pyro firewire boxes and they work great. XP Pro does have some confusion occasionaly as to what to do with the drives. (I use mine for external hard drives) XP sees the files and wants to know if it should open them in a particular program. (AVI - in medial player, etc.) I have used one for a CD burner with Nero Burning Rom and there were no problems reading or writing to the drive.

Hope this helped.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]