FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Recorder / Digital Camcorder Compatability

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hirscs01
DVD Recorder / Digital Camcorder Compatability
on Sep 19, 2003 at 4:11:53 pm

I purchased a new Panasonic DMR-E60S DVD Recorder for archiving video recorded with my Sony TRV315 Digital Camcorder. Using a Pyro Firewire card, I can extract the video from the camcorder to my computer with no problem. When I connect the camcorder's DV-In/Out (IEEE1394) port to the same on the external DVD Recorder, it does not work (uses a 4pin to 4pin firewire cable). I borrowed a friend's Cannon GL1 digital camcorder. Didn't work either. Panasonic technical support told me that the DVD recorder would only work with THEIR digital camcorders. In a second email, they told me that their could be a DV Compression difference between the camcorder and their DVD recorder. Sounds like they were "blowing smoke"! I thought IEEE1394 was a standard. If both camcorders work with a generic firewire card to computer, why would Panasonic's 1394 input port on the DVD Recorder not work with any firewire enabled digital camcorder? Thanks for replies in advance.

Return to posts index

alwayslearning
Re: DVD Recorder / Digital Camcorder Compatability
on Sep 19, 2003 at 4:51:58 pm

I believe it should work and am waiting to hear the resolution also.
I have a Panasonic DVX100 camera and can firewire it to my Pioneer PRV9000 DVD Deck with no problem.
AlwaysLearning

Return to posts index

Jerry Jones
on Sep 22, 2003 at 10:09:59 pm

Are you attempting to record FROM your DV camcorder TO your Panasonic DVD player/recorder?

That should work - regardless of the camcorder brand - if you are using the player/recorder's Firewire input.

Note, however, that these Panasonic player/recorder units feature Firewire *INPUT* only.

In other words, you can't play from the recorder back out through the Firewire to the DV camcorder.

The output has been disabled.

That's my understanding.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Return to posts index

hirscs01
on Sep 23, 2003 at 5:25:41 pm

Thanks for the response.

The problem between the Sony TRV-315 and the Panasonic DMR-E60 was a bad Firewire cable! It was a new cable too! Purchased another cable from Circuit City (Monster brand), and now it works great!Smile

I'm still annoyed at Panasonic Tech support for telling me that the DMR-E60 DVD Recorder would only work with Panasonic camcorders (sounded strange)or that my camcorder DV compression may be incompatible with their recorder (sounded far fetched).

Overall, the Panasonic DVD Recorder (with a good 1394 cable) works great and produces excellent results.

Thanks for your response again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]