FORUMS: list search recent posts

Junk old system or Upgrade

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vikivoly
Junk old system or Upgrade
on Sep 3, 2003 at 2:36:36 pm

I have the Canopus Raptor capture card that I use with Adobe Premiere 5.1 on a P3 733mhz, 256 mb RAM, 36 GB SCSI Hard drive & 8 GB Ultra DMA hard drive. I'm a professional photographer who also does wedding videos (about 15/year) and a few other minor video projects. My current system suits me fine for what I do, but I want to add DVD recording capabilites. In addition, I need another computer to support all of my photography files, as I don't have any space left. I want 2 computers. One dedicated to video production only, and the other for everything else.

I'm considering keeping my old system for video editing, maybe adding some RAM to it, and purchasing a new computer with DVD recording capablities. Taking my edited footage from my old computer and loading it onto my new computer via firewire and burning it onto DVD.

I know I'm probably better off converting my new computer into my video editing system, but I have all of the bugs worked out of my old system.

Thanks,
Vicki

Return to posts index

Adam Berkey
Re: Junk old system or Upgrade
on Sep 5, 2003 at 2:43:45 pm

I bought the TDK multi-format burner and it is working perfectly on my 600 mhz Pentium 3 with 192 mb of ram. I try to do all my importing, editing, and encoding on my 719 mhz Pentium 3 laptop using the Pyro firewire drive kit with a 40gb drive it. When all is finished, I plug my drive kit into the desktop firewire connection, and burn to DVD.

I thought I may have to buy a faster computer but it isn't so. My 600 mhz and 700 mhz systems work just great! Obviously a 3 ghz computer would get the job done faster, but not any better.

I am using TMPEnc to encode, and DVD-Lab to compile the DVDs. Before, I was trying out Studio 8. DVD-Lab is cheaper to buy, has more features, and actually works! A great piece of software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]