FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't get 2 hours of DVD on one disk

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dennis barry
Can't get 2 hours of DVD on one disk
on Jul 14, 2003 at 7:23:10 pm

Can anyone help me please.
All I can seem to get is 1 hour 20 mins of good quality video onto one DVD disk.
I have been using My DVD and I have also tried Ulead.
Let's say when I convert an AVI file into an MPEG file it is 1 GIG in size. When I transfer over to MY DVD or Ulead it increases in size.
I know that by lowering the bit rate I can get more onto a DVD.
Does anyone know a software encoder that will do this for me and a DVD authoring software that will work with this software?

Return to posts index

WTS
Re: Can't get 2 hours of DVD on one disk
by
on Jul 15, 2003 at 1:06:33 am

How are you creating your mpeg files? Are they program streams (combined audio and video into one file)? If so, the audio component of a program stream is mpa (mpeg1 layer2)--which is not an 'official' audio format for NTSC based dvd's. Because of that, programs like Ulead and MyDVD might (and I don't know for sure but it sounds like it) convert your compressed mpa audio file to PCM wave (which is uncompressed and 'approved'). Wave files are much larger than their mpa counterparts, and significantly limit the amount of video you can have on a disc because of their file sizes. If you encoded your video at ~6Mbps, then you could only get about 80 minutes on a disc with wave audio. Dolby Digital (ac3) audio is an 'approved' compressed audio format for NTSC discs and really the only way you can ever get close to fitting 2 hours of reasonably high quality video on a disc. Unfortunately to get such an encoder costs a few bucks (it's either included in the authoring application like ReelDVD or Ulead's DVDWS Pro with ac3 upgrade; or as a stand alone app like Acid Pro 4 from Sonic Foundry or Premiere Plug-in like Minnetonka audio's Surcode).

Jim

Return to posts index

plimper
Re: Can't get 2 hours of DVD on one disk
on Nov 8, 2003 at 1:28:38 pm

Hello there mate!!!
I will tell you how i made a 2 hour video at a good quality on 1 dvd.
For capture i use the Pinnacle Studio 8,x.Then when i am finished cutting i encode it at 4.250mbits and it makes like 3.8gb file.Then i use Unlead Movie Factory v2.0 and i have plenty of space to make menus and sound on it.It depends at how high mbits you encode your avi.If you set it at 6.000mbits you get best quality but 1:30hours of video.
I have no problems at all mate.I hope i helped there mate!!!
Happy authoring mate!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]