FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD-R or DVD+R, difference?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Webb
DVD-R or DVD+R, difference?
on Jun 15, 2003 at 1:39:07 am

What is the difference between DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW? Is one better than the other?

Return to posts index

ricks
Re: DVD-R or DVD+R, difference?
on Jun 16, 2003 at 4:22:17 am

I think the main difference is the wavelength of the laser. -r is supposed to be the most compatible with older DVD set top players. If you are running the DVD on a computer either should be fine. I have 3 +r recorders and support a user who uses apple -r, PC with -r and a stand alone -r set top recorder. I can tell they all have issues. The only guaranteed method is to try the DVD in the prospective player and see if it works

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jun 16, 2003 at 2:02:08 pm

Actually there is some very big technical differences having to do with the mechanics of writing to the media. Thankfully the DVD player manufacturers have made these differences a non issue. Todays players can handle both formats equally well. Any +R or -R disk you burn today with any of the latest burners will work in almost every current DVD player on the market.

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

gglinke
on Jun 17, 2003 at 1:27:10 pm

I use a Panasonic burner, which works fine, but when a try to play my minus R disc on a Sony machine it won't work. What am I doing wrong/

Return to posts index

Thomas Webb
on Jun 18, 2003 at 5:49:05 am

Thanks for the interesting info. How can I determine what formats my DVD player will read? I have a Toshiba SD-2109.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 19, 2003 at 3:31:02 am

Go to DVDR Help and check on your player's compatibility.

Return to posts index

Nitro Soda
on Jul 8, 2003 at 7:51:20 pm

the Toshiba SD-2109 will play both +r and +rw's not sure if it will play -'s.

fflinke:
it could be that your sony machine has trouble playing - dvd's. have you tried recording on other disc formats and tried them in the sony? is it an older set top player or new. +'s seem to play in all my dvd players so far, maybe give that a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]