FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to burn with the Pioneer A05

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AirPedro
Trying to burn with the Pioneer A05
on Apr 10, 2003 at 10:23:57 am

I have so far been unsuccessful in burning DVDs with my new Pioneer A05. I tried a test DVD with the bundled Sonic MyDVD, but when it comes to the writing stage it gets to about 20% and then stops. It will not cancel, nor will it close. Using "End Task" in Task Manager works the second time, however even though it is not on the screen the computer insists it's running. Two to three minutes later the computer reboots.

It get the same results with DVDit LE and the bundled InstantWrite.

The A05's firmware is 1.21.

I have been able to burn a data DVD with Roxio and I've also been able to burn a data CD with Roxio on this unit. It will recognize a commercial DVD disk, the computer recognizes it as a Pioneer DVR 105. I did notice that on the driver tab in Device Manager, when I click driver details it calls the driver a "cdrom.sys," "redbook.sys" and "storprop.dll."

Color me confused and in need of help.

Return to posts index

AirPedro
Re: Trying to burn with the Pioneer A05
on Apr 22, 2003 at 3:42:15 pm

Case closed. I found out from someone on another forum that the A05 doesn't like DMA, so after I changed it to PIO everything came up roses.

AirPedro

Return to posts index

John Q
on Apr 23, 2003 at 2:51:35 am

Ah, so you're using Windows 2000. Interestingly, my A03 would only work in PIO mode on W2K. However, on XP Pro, it will only work in DMA mode.

Return to posts index

AirPedro
on Apr 24, 2003 at 11:53:59 am

So.....is it worth the upgrade to go to XP???? Or should I spend my money on Premiere 6.5??????? I'm thinking I'd go for 6.5.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Apr 25, 2003 at 5:19:52 am

If you're serious about video, I recommend XP. It handles disk I/O better, e.g. operating every IDE device at its best performance, like the A03 working in DMA mode. It also handles firewire better. I used to have to worry about closing Premiere, plugging my DV camcorder in, and reopening Premiere. Now, I just plug it in and turn it on, whether I'm running Premiere or not. You'll find that more firewire devices are supported in XP, as well.

Until XP Pro, I wouldn't recommend a dual processor workstation. I only used duals for servers, as the W2K (and NT before that) server kernel handled duals well. The workstation kernel seemed to spend more time figuring out which cpu was in charge, rather than speeding up your processing. Now with XP Pro, I'm running a dual Athlon with Premiere 6.5 with an RT.X100. The principal task I have to render is a scrolling title (although there are tricks I can do to avoid rendering). With the speed of this machine, I don't care about spending time to avoid rendering a scrolling title. It's fast enough, I can't run to the other room to get a soda before it's done.

You don't have to, but I'm glad I upgraded to XP Pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]