FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture card "capture quality"

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodney Michael
Capture card "capture quality"
on Apr 4, 2003 at 6:24:08 pm

I'm new to this stuff. As a starter I have purchased the AverMedia EZ DVD software and card to transfer some old VHS videos into DVD format. I working on a P4 2.52GHz with 512MB running Win XP Pro.

In an initial effort I captured and digitized to MPEG2 a sample VHS tape. When I played back the MPEG file at full screen on my 18" LCD monitor, the picture quality was terrible compared to the original VHS. The images and colors were fundamentally OK, but there was a lot of distortion, edge artifact, and streaking.

QUESTION 1: Is there any difference in the quality of the captured images between capture cards? If it is an issue, I don't see it addressed in any comparisons of capture cards. If it is an issue, what are the best cards?

QUESTION 2: Is there anything that I am doing wrong or should do differently? Is it a function of the video player on my PC (Windows Media Player, v9)

Return to posts index

newguy
Re: Capture card "capture quality"
on Apr 5, 2003 at 4:51:10 am

1. Yes, of course.
2. You can try to capture DV format before encode it to mpeg file. the quality of mpeg file also depends on encoder and parameter set up (bitrate for example)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]