FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much Video should I be able to fit on a DVD?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RaoulLaoyan
How much Video should I be able to fit on a DVD?
on Mar 15, 2003 at 7:39:53 am

Maybe I shouldnt complain, but I can only fit about 85 minutes of captured video on a DVD. The software I use to capture/create/burn is Pinnicle Studio 7, and Sonic DVD. I capture from my Sony DCR-TRV330 using the DV presets in Studio 7, edit and convert to MPG-2 using the DVD presets, and format/burn the DVD disk with menu's and stuff using Sonic 4.0. I've never had any incompatibility problems with set top boxes and wouldnt want to make any changes that would bring on any problems, but I'd like to be able to fit more than what I'm getting on each DVD. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

pjpfuchs
Re: How much Video should I be able to fit on a DV
on Mar 15, 2003 at 9:17:06 pm

You're blessed! I'm jealous Wink I had plenty of problems (using Impression DVD Pro) including compatibility problems with my set-top DVD player.

My best advice: stick with what you have. 85 minutes is plenty!
If you really need to put more on a DVD, it will cost you money:

1) Well, for free of course you can play with the encoding parameters and reduce the number of Mbps of your video stream. That also means lower quality. I guess you don't want that. Or you can try and find your optimal encoding setup, where the videostream is the slowest possible but you're still happy with the final quality.

2) The lowest hanging fruit consists of shrinking your audio footprint by a factor of 8. 48 kHz 16 bit stereo audio takes 1,536kbps uncompressed(.wav files). You can shrink that to 192 kbps if you encode them in Dolby Digital 2.0. Look for Minnetonka encoders. For $700 you can even get a nice 5.1 encoder (then your audio will take about 450 kbps) and design fancy surround effects if you have time to do so.

But first you need to check that the authoring software you use (Sonic DVD) can accept Dolby Digital files (.ac3 files). Worst case, you may have to purchase another authoring software like Sonic ReelDVD, [that's $1,000 but then you won't need the Minnetonka encoder]. Sonic ReelDVD will take you uncompressed (.wav) audio files and shrink them into dolby digital 2.0 (stereo, but not surround) .ac3 files.

3) The expensive, high hanging-fruit... consists of purchasing an authoring software and a DVD burner able to burn DVD-9 media, i.e. double-layer media. The DVD you purchase can have 3 hours of high quality video & audio because they use sophisticated encoders, sophisticated authoring software (like Sonic Scenarist. So professional that I can't even find a price for it on the web!) and sophisticated double-layer burners. The whole set-up for a pro costs in the range of 20-40k - that's a rumor, I could not double-check that.

Bottom-line: Don't you feel happy now with 85 minutes of video on your DVD's? If you were able to do that w/o major obstacles, again you're blessed. Many people chatting on this forum had to deal with fatal bugs on their authoring software, learn how to walk around the bugs with hours and hours of trial and error, and finally burn a DVD that is not compatible with some set-top players.

Return to posts index

cmarslett
on Apr 4, 2003 at 5:51:49 pm

pjpfuchs is really right on!

I have made one DVD that lost quality packing it to only 80 minutes on a disk, so 85 minutes is not too shabby.

Both Reel DVD and Ulead's DVD Workshop (I think) handle encoding to Dolby 2.0, and are reasonably priced for that feature. The less expensive DVD authoring software like MyDVD don't support importing the Dolby audio streams without some really arcane hacks that I don't want to even think about. If you find an authoring package that lets you do that, there is a free package on Sourceforge that lets you Dolby encode a WAV file, but I've not found a cheaper way to use the encoded stream on a DVD than ReelDVD or DVD Workshop.

Using Dolby stereo sound will buy you about 15-20% more time (if you get 85 minutes now with acceptable quality, I'd expect it to be closer to 100 minutes with Dolby stereo and equivalent video and sound quality.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Apr 5, 2003 at 1:40:33 am

P.S. There is no dual-layer DVD burner and never will be. It's just not technically feasible to create a dual-layer burner. Dual-layer DVD's have to be pressed.

If you want more capacity, you'll have to wait for blue lasers, which will hold 20-27 GB in a single layer. HOPEFULLY, the industry will standardize this format to a single version.

Return to posts index

renvid
on May 8, 2003 at 12:29:47 pm

So are you guys saying that 85 minutes is great? I shoot weddings and have a lot to learn and one of these things is how to get a wedding video up to near 2 hours on a dvd.....I know the competition is doing it and economically. I dont even have a burner yet and am confused on what to buy due to all the formats.......man what a mess, vhs seems the easiest but of course the quality is not that good.

Tom

Return to posts index

squidley
on Jun 12, 2003 at 10:28:53 pm

I was wrestling with this and here was the conclusion:

I was using as a test my wedding tape that was 14yrs old, recorded with a cheap vhs video camera, and shot by the owner not a proffesional.

I do need to say that I bought the Matrox RX100 capture card because I wasn't happy with the quality I was getting. I first captured with a bit rate of 7 and the quality was egual to the original but you only get around an hour on a DVD. I lowered the bit rate to 4 and the quality was about the same and I could easily fit 2+ hours on a DVD.

With all this said you have to take into consideration your source. If you start with VHS you can lower the bitrate but if your source is DV you may see a drop in quality. Hope this helps

Return to posts index

krogers
Re: How much Video should I be able to fit on a DVD?
on Oct 10, 2005 at 3:45:36 am

I own a Canon ZR300 Mini DV Camera.......I always record in the SP mode and use 60 minute Mini DV tapes...........This produces a really great quality 60 minute DVD........ Razz

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: How much Video should I be able to fit on a DVD?
on Oct 12, 2005 at 2:40:52 am

Bite my tongue. I now own several dual layer burners, but I have yet to get a dual layer DVD+-R to work reliably on more than the computer that burned it. My DVD players hate them and freeze during playback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]