FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD quality

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kutarheel
DVD quality
on Mar 4, 2003 at 8:24:07 pm

Hi,

I'm fairly new at this stuff so forgive me if I ask stupid questions, but I need some direction as to where to go. I'll try to make my long story as short as possible. I bought a Dell Dimension 8200 that came bundled with a Dazzle capture device and Videowave4. I was able to capture analog video from a VHS tape and the quality on the PC screen was the same as the tape. But when I burned to DVD, the quality was considerablly degraded.

Next I tried Ulead software with similar results. Next I took the bundled stuff out and installed Pinnacle Studio8 Deluxe with a new capture card. Capture works fine, again, but, again, the DVD result is not as good as the original tape. What should I try? I have researched message boards, support pages, upgraded all drivers and still no luck.

I'm working with a P4 2.0GHz processor, 512MB PC800 RDRAM, 40GB Seagate primary hard drive with UDMA enabled, 120MB secondary Western Digital drive with UDMA enabled that I use for the video files, 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card and a Phillips DVD+RW-D01 burner. HELP!

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: DVD quality
on Mar 5, 2003 at 3:39:48 am

Could you provide some more details about both the capture and output settings on your software, specifically the video bit rate, frame size/resolution, and frame type?

Return to posts index

kutarheel
on Mar 5, 2003 at 2:45:55 pm

Gladly. The Studio8 software deals with presets depending on the capture card, etc. I captured using the "full DV quality" preset. Grayed out areas perhaps indicate a frame rate of 29.97 with a frame size of 720X480 and a rate of 3745 kbytes/sec or 8745 kbytes/sec (can't tell if it's a 3 or an 8). The output settings are also preset depending on output format (tape, AVI, stream,etc.). I used "Make Disk", chose "DVD" with "best video quality" which has a grayed out kbits/sec setting of 8000. Hope this helps you to help me! Thanks for your interest.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Mar 6, 2003 at 3:15:46 am

I can't tell you how to fix it, but here are a few trouble shooting tips-

Can you describe what it is that is the matter with the DVD video?
For example, do you see small squares on the screen, what I call "pixelization" (I don't know if that is correct)? Or does motion seem to be jumpy/jerky? Both of those would indicate that the video is poorly encoded. I don't know how good the Studio 8 encoder is, but I was not very impressed with the quality of Mpeg 2 from earlier Studio versions.

Which of Ulead's product's do you have? Try creating short Mpeg 2 clips with both Studio and the Ulead program at the same settings and compare the quality with each other and with the finished DVD.

Am I correct that the Dazzle analog capture device that came with your Dell is a hardware Mpeg encoder? Is the file type ".mpg"?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]