FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pioneer A05 Won't Do DVD's

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
markbalthrop
Pioneer A05 Won't Do DVD's
on Feb 7, 2003 at 7:28:11 pm

I just installed the A05 under XP and everything seemed to go without a hitch; however, it won't read or write DVD's. It reads and writes data and audio CD's just fine. I did the firmware update, but can't find any drivers or other updates. Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

jgayman
Re: Pioneer A05 Won't Do DVD's
on Feb 7, 2003 at 9:23:13 pm

The firmware update might be the problem. I installed my A05 on XP Pro and upon rebooting I was ready to go.

I've read where the published firmware update can be bad news. I'm running version 1.0 or whatever originally came with the burner and it is working flawless... so I'm in no hurry to upgrade it. I've made about 40 DVD-R's so far with no problems.

Can your A05 play a commercial DVD movie ? If you go into Device Manager, does XP know the drive is a DVD ?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Feb 7, 2003 at 10:37:36 pm

Have you tried creating a title set or disc image and then burning it to a DVD? Also, what software are you using to burn cd's and DVD's and to play DVD's?

Return to posts index

markbalthrop
on Feb 7, 2003 at 11:54:17 pm

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately once you update the firmware, it won't go back. The A05 will not play (or even recognize) a commercial or any other DVD. In the Device Manager, it does show that it is a DVD. I'm at a total loss.

Any help anyone might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

markbalthrop
on Feb 7, 2003 at 11:55:56 pm

My A05 won't recognize any DVD...blank or otherwise; therefore, I haven't been able to use any software for it.

It does play and burn CD's without a problem.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Feb 8, 2003 at 2:51:03 am

In my version of Nero, I must choose the DVD-R/RW option when I first open the program for it to recognize a blank DVD-R. What do you use? Also, what is your DVD player software?

Return to posts index

markbalthrop
on Feb 8, 2003 at 4:20:38 am

I have Roxio's Easy CD Creator (latest version 5.3.2.34.b), and Pinnacle's InstantWrite. For players, I have Windows MediaPlayer and InterVideo DVD. None of this software recognizes anything in the drive except CDs.

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Feb 8, 2003 at 2:58:40 pm

i have run into similar problems. how did you connect the A05 exactly in your machine? is it a slave to your other cdrom/dvdrom drive? is it a slave to a hard drive? these burners like to be set to the secondary master. also, cable select is ALWAYS a bad idea.

- Jon

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Feb 8, 2003 at 3:53:17 pm

In the Device Manager is the A05 recognized as a Pioneer A05? If not, what does it say and are there any problem devices shown?

When you open up the Windows Explorer with a DVD in the Pioneer A05 and check the properties for that disc what does it show?

Is the A05 the default drive for your software DVD player?

Return to posts index

markbalthrop
on Feb 8, 2003 at 6:44:43 pm

Jon,

Thanks for your help. I set it at every possible combination: slave to the other CDRom, cable select, disconnected other CDRom altogether, etc. Nothing changes. I think I can only determine there is something physically wrong with the drive.

Return to posts index

markbalthrop
on Feb 8, 2003 at 6:48:17 pm

The Device Manager does recognize the A05 as a Pioneer A05. It says there are no problems with any drive.

When I open up Windows Explorer with a DVD in the Pioneer A05 and check the properties, it acts as though there is no disc in the drive.

I reinstalled with the A05 as the only CD drive and everything is still the same. I took the drive to my office computer this morning...same thing. I guess I have to determine there is something wrong with the drive itself. Do you think that's correct?

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Feb 8, 2003 at 9:48:33 pm

Sounds like it to me

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Feb 8, 2003 at 10:30:32 pm

yeah i'd say at this point there is something wrong w/ the drive.

- Jon

Return to posts index

ProDVD_Authoring
on Feb 9, 2003 at 12:03:40 am

Hi:
I'm sorry to hear about your A05 not burning DVD R's. I strongly suspect the firmware upgrade you performed somehow went wrong, or possibly, the firmware upgrade batch file, if you downloaded it from the net, got corrupted and it failed to adequately program the on board eprom hardware chip. I'm no internal DVD drive electronics technician, but I am a highly experienced systems integration engineer and I have built several 60K$ NLE editing systems and I have seen this type of thing before with CDR drives. Please consider returning your drive immediately to the retail outlet you purchased it from and switch it for another A05.

Good Burning,

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]