FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will 4X DVD R Work O.K. In Slow DVD R Burners ?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ProDVD_Authoring
Will 4X DVD R Work O.K. In Slow DVD R Burners ?
on Feb 6, 2003 at 7:05:47 pm

Smile

Hi Burners:
I have a couple of tech questions I can't get straight answers on and perhaps someone on this forum knows the answer ?

1. What speed do table top DVD recorders burn DVD R media at ?

2. Once the old 2X DVD R and 1X DVD RW media is gone, will the faster 4X media work o.k. in all slower 1X, 2X DVD R capable burners and table top recorders ?

I understand from reading Pioneer's web site that they have a firmware upgrade to enable their older drives and table top players to accept the new media. Is this new compatibility accomplished by increasing the spindle speed of the older models or do they do it by increasing the burning lazer intensity for the newer media ?
I bought in early in the CD RW days and purchased the first rewriteable CD RW capable drive on the market at that time. (The Ricoh MP6200S) I also have a a Sony CRX 100E CD RW drive which will not record at all on just about all of the faster speed recordable write once CDR or faster writeable CD RW. I have lots of the old, slow 2X RW media from Philips and Ricoh, which works just fine. There is one brand of Princo 2X to 24X write once CDR which works just great on my old Sony CD RW. Luckily I can now purchase a CDRW drive for under 70$ now so who cares, but are we heading for simular problems with table top DVD Recorders and the slower DVD R capable drives once their is no more DVD R 2X and 1X DVD RW media to be had ?

Mark

Return to posts index

Ron Evans
Re: Will 4X DVD R Work O.K. In Slow DVD R Burners
on Feb 6, 2003 at 7:30:28 pm

The old drives will only burn at their design speed what ever that was 1x or 2x. The firmware upgrade just allows them to recognise and use the new media without crashing and potentialy damaging the units. Stand alone DVD recorders record only at 1 times just like a VCR.

Ron

Return to posts index

ProDVD_Authoring
Re: Will 4X DVD R Work O.K. In Slow DVD R Burners
on Feb 6, 2003 at 10:17:48 pm

Hi Ron:
Thanks for the reply on my questions.Smile Your replies raise some other questions in my mind regarding the "science" of the whole DVD R technology. My clients keep asking me every question under the sun, which I'm happy to take all the time necessary to answer, but sometimes I just don't always know what the answer is ;-)
For example, even my nice, but slow burning Pioneer S201 DVD R Authoring burner can "read" back a DVD at 2X. Therefore, why could it not be upgraded to burn some kind of new possible DVD R (A)media at 2X ? If the recordable drive is capable of higher spindle speed, then hey, why not ? Perhaps there is some other technical reason ? Pioneer engineers please feel free to educate us about the internal guts of a DVD recorder. Wink
Still, I wonder how they work exactly, because even the Pioneer A03 can read a DVD at more than 2X speed, so why can't they actually be upgraded to burn at a higher speed than 2X ?

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]