FORUMS: list search recent posts

New SONY DVD + and - Drive

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dgreen
New SONY DVD + and - Drive
on Jan 30, 2003 at 7:51:29 pm

I see that Sony is advertising a DVD burner that supports both + and - standards. +RW is 2.4X, +R is 2.4X, -RW is 2X, -R is 4X. Does anyone have any experience on this drive?

Return to posts index

videoblaze
Re: New SONY DVD + and - Drive
on Jan 31, 2003 at 3:39:59 am

I don't have one, but a friend does. He says it works as well as any other DVD-R or DVD+R drive. Let's you choose any format you want. Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it?

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Feb 1, 2003 at 7:36:29 pm

I know that when this drive first came out there were a bunch of problems w/ it and they had to release a firmware or two. The + media is more expensive then the - media and is also less compatible w/ set top dvd players. The Sony drive is more expensive then the Pioneer drive. From what I have been reading, the Pioneer A05 is becoming the prefered DVD burner on the market.

- Jon

Return to posts index

videoblaze
on Apr 25, 2003 at 6:06:00 pm

I can't recall the exact name per the DVD standard, but there are a set of bits that get burned onto the media to identify they type of recording media/session-type. The Sony burner will burn a bit set that identifies the media as +R. Most older players will look for bit sets that identify CD, CD-R, DVD-ROM, DVD-V (video)media or will refuse to play it (disc error usually appears on the display).

The HP DVD+R burning is known to set the bit-set to DVD-ROM after burning +R media, this has allowed discs to play on older players.

From what I've read on various web-boards, I would conclude that using a HP +R burner and media may be more compatable than any other process. I can't prove that statement, and I don't intend to try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]