Now my question: Is there a DVD burner that is available
on the market today that will allow me to burn DVD's which will be
compatible with all DVD players?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Ron Evans
Re: DVD burner compatibility
on Jan 14, 2003 at 8:12:10 pm

JUst becauses one disc doesn't work it does not mean that you cannot get your burner to work for you. Try a better quality disc with a lower bit rate and less on the disc. I have found that for some players they will not work with a high bit rate with a disc that is nearly full. But with even the same disc type will work with lower bit rate and consequently less on the disc for the same program. I had originally recorded a concert and had decided for quality reasons to burn on two discs at 7300bps with layer2 audio. Several of the people who tried could not get the discs to play on their older players. I re-encoded at 6000bps same audio same disc type and all managed to get the discs to play. I still don't know why but this has happened repeatably. So now when I make disc's of condcerts for this group I do all of them in thsi way. By the way with the latest encoder in Premiere it is very difficult to tell the difference between 6000 and 7300 constant bit rate.

Ron Evans

Return to posts index

HATZ
by
on Jan 14, 2003 at 10:16:55 pm

thanks for the Info Ron. I'll give it a try.

Hatz

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 15, 2003 at 2:50:38 am

First, check your DVD player for compatibility at http://www.vcdhelp.com.

If your player is listed as compatible with your DVD-R, then one other possibility is media quality. Name brand media, like Maxell, TDK, and Apple have higher compatibility rates than cheap generic media.

Finally, encoding makes a difference with some players. My sister's DVD player will only play DVD-R discs I burn that are encoded as constant bitrate (CBR).

Otherwise, a 3.95 GB DVD for Authoring disc, which can be burned by a very expensive Pioneer DVRS201, but not your DVD for General burner, is supposed to be compatible with almost every DVD player. It would be far cheaper to buy a newer DVD player that is already compatible with DVD-R.

Return to posts index

jgayman
on Jan 17, 2003 at 2:26:53 am

Before you tear too much hair out go to the VCDHELP site as John Q suggests and look up your player. If your player is more than a couple years old chances are it won't play anything. Once you know the compatibility of your player then you can deal with the problem or simply get a newer player. I had two players... Toshiba SD-3109 and Toshiba SD-1600. The 3109 wont play ANY burnt disks. The 1600 will only play DVD-R. I dumped both and bought a $169 Sony that plays everything known to man. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]