FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the Best method to create Home DVD Movies?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rod38
What is the Best method to create Home DVD Movies?
on Jan 12, 2003 at 4:37:19 pm

System : P4 2.0 Ghz 512 Meg Ram, Win XP Home, Cendyne 4X DVD-rw DVR-105 and a OHCI Compliant Firewire card (generic supplied by Compaq). I have the Following software: Pinnacle 8.0, Adobe Premiere 6.5, TmpGenc 2.57, VirtualDub 1.4.8, Latest ReelDVD, DVIo, DVDit PE, IFOedit, and I have access to almost any software I need.
I have a Sony DCR-TRV25 Digital Camcorder with DV Cable.
I used Pinnacle Studio 8.0 and captured and converted 103 minutes of home video to AVI and then DVD Mpeg2. I then tried to create a DVD and got File Access Error during compile.. I then used TMPgenc to encode the original avi to dvd mpeg2 and then tried to used DVDit Pe to create DVD and it gave me some GOP sequence error. I just want to find a software that will use my existing hardware and will capture, then encode to dvd mpeg2, and then will burn to DVD-r for me. I wantto be able to watch my home movies on my standalone DVD player.
Any suggestions? I would prefer proven methods with similar hardware that I have. Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: What is the Best method to create Home DVD Mov
on Jan 12, 2003 at 5:32:42 pm

Hi there
I don't think its your hardware or software for that matter that is the problem. I have a computer very similar to yours and have been able to create DVD's with no problems. I think you are just encoding the files to a MPEG2 format that is not supported by the software programs. I would recommend taking your avi files into Premiere 6.5 and then using the Adobe MPEG Encoder to encode the files into m2v format. I have been able to bring these files into DVDitPE and ReelDVD and burn successful DVD's. The Adobe MPEG Encoder surprisingly did a great job of encoding them, I was really impressed with the quality! So I would recomend using this method, as it has worked for me many times, and my computer is very similar to yours!
Good Luck!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

Ron Evans
on Jan 13, 2003 at 2:20:34 am

The easiest way is to use the Adobe MPEG encoder, use one of the presets to create your m2v file at first until you get to want to experiment. I would buy Dazzle DVD Compete Deluxe ( $99 ), import the MPEG m2v file and author the DVD and burn from within DVD Complete. This program is easier to use and more comprehensive than DVDit xxx. The only other authoring program you might consider for ease of use is Ulead Workshop but this requires you to have a multiplexed file created from within the ADOBe MPEG encoder ( you get there by going to the advanced edit box then to multiplexer settings). Dazzle program has its limitations but it is very easy to create DVD's. However only feed it MPEG files so that you don't use its encoder and make sure it is set up to not re-encode valid DVD files. You will need to keep a track of how all these programs use up disk space!!!!

Ron Evans

Return to posts index

Michael Autery
on Jan 13, 2003 at 4:21:12 pm

rod38,

In my opinion and I agree with ciabt go with adobe premiere,

the only thing you need for this (Home DVD Movie)is Adobe Premiere and DVDit

You are using to many steps, to Start, Capture using Adobe Premiere
edit if need be, export using MainConcept encoder, import into dvdit make menus or drop mpeg into first play and burn.

the only problem I forsee is the 2gb (Fat32) or 4gb (NTSC) limit when capturing your footage.

another option (Faster) if you don't want or need to edit

Capture with Premiere (Remember where you captured too) Open TMPG convert files to mpeg2, open dvdit import drop in First play nad burn.

I would also do a little testing to find out what works the best and the fastest for you, with a short 5-10 minute clip capture, edit, encode, build a folder and if it works ok then burn it to a disc, try it out on your dvd player.

If you need some exact settings let me know, because I had created many dvds this way as well as with most dvd authoring software

Best Regards
Michael Autery
http://www.EzDVDAdvisor.com"">EzDVDAdvisor.com
EzDVDAdvisor.com DVD Product Developers Community

Return to posts index

rod38
on Jan 13, 2003 at 10:35:19 pm

Thanks to all the suggestions. I will let yall know how it turns out. I will spend this weekend creating a DVD Home Movie using Adobe premiere 6.5 capture and then maybe dvdit to burn it. But I will start with Capture and encoding solution first. Thanks all.

Return to posts index

ProDVD_Authoring
on Feb 6, 2003 at 1:35:39 pm

Hi Rod:
I know you are heavily invested in PC based DVD creation software and hardware and it's only natural to want to use what you've already paid for. If time and simplicity are at a desired premium for you, then maybe you might consider an affordable table top DVD recorder which will automatically encode your video and audio and generate a simple navigation menu which will work in most table top and PC based DVD players ? These devices have recently dropped in price and are available from Hitachi and Panasonic. I have the Panasonic DMR E30 and it cranks out stunning quality DVD video discs on a day to day basis which are perfect every time. No hassle, no waste of time, no stress. This could be one possible route you could take.

Good Burning,

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]